Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 986

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I didn't see anything on this site about bleach or finishes - are you referring to info from some other site?
    The reference to chlorine bleach and surfaces is back a page on their site.

http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/m...s/eraser.shtml

Gord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob View Post
    It is not to be used on some finishes or in
    conjunction with chlorine bleach. Gord
    No chlorine bleach. Does that stuff have any odor
    of ammonia? That and bleach are a no-no. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    So what are it's active ingredients? Should be on the label. Dan
    There was some issue in the press awhile ago about the things containing formaldehyde. It was part of a series on forcing manufacturers to disclose the use of carcinogens in their products or something like that. I don't know if it's been resolved, but half of us are using worse stuff in our darkrooms anyway.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People, do a google on "Magic Eraser" and "urban myth" and draw your own conclusions... There is no formaldehyde - that appears to be part of the chemical name of the material in much the same way that the highly dangerous metal sodium is part of the make-up of common table salt. It does not burn: it abrades. All the other reported "problems" seem to be invalid too.

This material (Melamine foam) is used all over the place for sound and heat insulation. It works at removing grime by having a very minute but tough foam structure that allows it to scour into minuscule indentations in the material you are using it on.

As an aside, a mate of mine was impressed with its teeth cleaning capabilities but I would NOT recommend that use (he is officially an idiot - he has a badge to prove it) - I hate to think what it will do to tooth enamel!

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not a chemist but I was under the impression that the melamine foam is mostly non-reactive. I would be more concerned with the structure holding onto some of the bleach and cross contaminating other solutions/surfaces.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Late post here - I just found this thread. Another consumer cleaner that works well with many things and is not abrasive is Barkeeper's Friend. It comes as a powder in a foil can like Bon Ami, and as a liquid (harder to find). It cleans better than Bon Ami in my opinion. The Bed Bath and Beyond chain carries the liquid version. Like anything, try it somewhere that doesn't matter first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hmm - I think you may have felt simple abrasion. According to the Wikipedia and other sources I just found on the internet, magic erasers do not cause chemical burns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

From my reading, it looks to me like magic erasers don't have any chemicals in them at all - they work via abrasion like sandpaper.

Dan
    eating a big piece of crow ...

you are absolutely correct!
    it is like a micro sandpaper.

mmm this crow is good ...
    john

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin