Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,483   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Beseler Computer Color Head for VC B&W?

I was recently given a Beseler MX II enlarger with a computer controlled color head. I have a manual for the enlarger, but not for the color head. So I finally got it put together okay (I think) and plug it in. I put a color transparency in and then started playing with the C,Y, and M dials. I noticed that when I would turn one of the dials, the readouts for at least two of the colors would change. At this point, I'm not sure how I can use this with VC black and white paper. How do I dial in magenta without the cyan or yellow also changing? Are there still manuals available for this particular color head?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There should be a section in the manual for B&W VC printing. At least there is in my Dichro head manual. There should be a table there that will help you.

I use 30 M for a grade 2, and about 70 M for a grade 3 which looks pretty good to my old eyeballs. They suggest a 70M + 10Y (IIRC) for a grade 3, but I cant really see much difference.

But YES! It works.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The problem is, I only have a manual for the enlarger. I don't have one for the color head. Is there a switch I'm not seeing that allows some sort of manual mode for the color head?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The computer controlled head has sensors that actually read Cyan Magenta & Yellow light. In this type of Beseler head the LED readouts are what those sensors are actually measuring. When you turn one dial it does effect the other channels. Typically you make sure all Cyan filtration is dialed out and only use yellow and Magenta for actual filtration. I used these type of heads in the Pro Lab I worked in and later when it closed I purchased a couple of these. Unfortunately they do not have a good track record. Beseler stopped servicing them. Even if the read outs are not correct and usually they are not, (sensors go bad in mixing chamber) you can still use them for B&W printing. You will probably only be using Magenta filtration. Turn all dials so filtration is completely removed, now just turn Magenta filtration all the way up. What does it read, it should be about 250 at full scale I think. I will look and see if I still have the manual and get back to you. Do you have the special timing unit that plugs into the head?

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy22 View Post
    Do you have the special timing unit that plugs into the head?
    No special timing unit. Do I need one? Or can I just use a regular ol' timer?

I'll only be using this for B&W so the poor track record shouldn't matter (if I'm reading you correctly.)

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott,

The units I have like this have special timing units that plug into the head with a special connector. It sounds like you have powered unit up and can see light, is that correct? If you just plug the 120 volt plug into the wall and the power source lights up the Halogen bulb you should be able to use a standard timer. I have never tried it because I have the timers that came with the unit. What is the actual writing on the enlarger head say? (just curious) I will be home from work in about 2 hours, I will see if I can scan some pages of the manual and email them to you. What is your email address?

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a regular timer on mine. The unit does not do anything really automatic at all except sense the color mixture in the chamber. It does equally well for color and B&W as long as the readouts are set to a series of Y or M filters.

Basically, concentration goes up with M and down with Y.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The text on the head reads: Beseler Dichro45 Color Computer. On the underside are two plugs. One is labeled: Timer Input The other is labeled: D.A.T.A input

I have the one included cable plugged into the Timer Input plug, with the other end going into my timer. I don't have anything that would fit the DATA input plug, and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.

Yes, I do get light when I set my timer to "Focus" and the timer operation acts just like I'd expect to to. I think I'm really going to like this enlarger once I understand it.

One last thing: I've posted a couple of questions on APUG recently (after being gone for quite a while.) In each case I received lots of help and I got it fast. You guys are great! Thanks!

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott;

That is the same as mine. The DATA input is not used. You have it connected correctly, so all you have to do is start printing. As I said, about 30M should get you a grade 2, and 70 M grade 3. Use about 20 or 30 Y for grade 0 - 1. I'll look it up later, but trial and error will help you calibrate it. This isn't an exact thing. Each light puts out a different amount of R/G/B light so experiment a little.

And good luck to you.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My old enlarger dichro head had little filters that moved in and out of the light's path. These needed replaced a time or two. Am I right in assuming that this Beseler head works some other way?

Oh yeah... my email address is: csridgeway@verizon.net

Again, thanks for all the help!

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin