Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,734   Posts: 1,515,366   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to use Beseler Motor base?

Does anyone know of an online resource where you can download instructions on using a Beseler Motor base and drums?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=180176891618

Dave

Images
    Good Evening, Dave,

1-Plug in motor base.
    2-Turn on motor base.
    3-If the model you have gives a choice between single direction and automatic reversal, select your preference.
    4-Place loaded drum on the base
    5-If the base rotates in only one direction, reverse the drum from time to time, say every thirty seconds or one minute, (probably unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything).
    6-If you use the drum for film processing, try the film manufacturer's suggested time for "continuous agitation" as a starting point.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Konical:

That much I pretty well knew, but are there recommended amounts of developer, etc. to be used in the various size drums? I am not certain of the size of drum with the motor base, but I do know there are various sizes available....

The drum size will become clearer when it arrives, and I may be looking for other drums after, but now just wanted to get an idea of the correct procedure for using it. It will be nice not having to get my hands into the chemicals so much...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave:

It seems your question is more about the tubes than the base. The problem is that different tubes require different answers. The volume needed depends on the size of the tubes, and their mechanism for accepting chemistry and draining it.

When I started using the tubes, I was amazed how hard it was to get answer to just this question.

It is probably best to identify the tube you will be using, and then ask about that tube.

FWIW, I use Cibachrome Mark II Colour Processing drums for 8x10, and find 120 millilitres to be a convenient quantity that is probably more than necessary.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, yes. I was hoping originally to find a source for the manual which would have come with the base, in the hope that it might include instruction for the various tubes by Beseler.

The auction photo doesn't clear up what size the tube is as I have never seen the motor base in the flesh before so can't make a comparison comparing it to the tube shown to figure out its size. However, it appears to by for 8x10 if I am thinking correctly.

I just noticed the Beseler model for the base is 8921, so by Googling that number I may be able to find out something, But it win't tell me what tube is with it.

By the way, for those who might have been following my setting up of the darkroom, I have it under way now. I have the sink and wet counter installed and drains roughed in. I am building the room backwards... i.e. Sink and wet counter first - then the walls! The main reason is I need to know the dimensions of everything that is going into it, then I can build it to the minimum required size. However, it is well under way and soon no more trying to use the small bathroom in the house and having to move the equipment around...

Glad to have it started and it will be great when everything has a permanent home.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,
    If the Beseler processing drum is more or less the size of a Unicolor 8x10 drum, then the recommended volume of chemistry is 120ml. This is what Unicolor advises with its 8x10 drum. This assumes that you have the roller processor on a level surface. It helps a lot to have a bubble level handy when using these roller processors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all:

It will be a bit of a learning curve, as I have never used anything but trays and regular developing tanks, but the idea of drum processing sounds great!

<G> I will miss getting my fingers into the developer and fixer :-)

Thanks all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Beseler drum like the one in that ebay ad and find it quite convenient to do 320 ml of liquid (easy to mix HC110 b in that amount with the measures I have available.) It may be overkill, but it works great. The box that the drum came in (all I have of the original materials) says that 2 oz of liquid is all that is needed for processing color paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like I will save in developer, etc. over using the trays. It will be interesting when it arrives and the first time I use it. I am a little bit stuck in the time warp, as it was back in the early 70's when I last did much of my own processing. To me the idea of using a drum was quite foreign, but it sounds as though I will like it. I saw the auction yesterday - it was on for a much higher price first, then the seller relisted it for under $10, so decided I would buy the items he was offering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the drum I have was originally for 11x14 paper. I can fit 2 sheets of 8x10 in at one time. I looks larger (in relation to the motor) than the one in the ebay ad. I also have an 8x10 Unicolor drum and the Beseler is definitely larger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin