Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,831   Online: 824

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard;

No, the GFIs are at the box and they comprise the circuit. I have many and only one does this.

Charley;

It rained harder than we have seen in months, about 12 hours earlier, and I can say that this may be the reason. IDK.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Richard;

No, the GFIs are at the box and they comprise the circuit. I have many and only one does this.

Charley;

It rained harder than we have seen in months, about 12 hours earlier, and I can say that this may be the reason. IDK.

PE
    Damp making its way into a junction box sounds plausible then.

We had damp enter a below-ground junction where the 415 volt 3-phase entered our building (apparent cause of fault was constant lorries on the road thanks to building work causing the cable shielding to crack, allowing water to enter.) Evidently the local substation (we don't have US style 'pole pigs' here) doesn't have a GFI . The length of cable the electricity guys dug out of the ground was basically a blackened mess - the outer steel armour was just about in tact, but the aluminium conductors themselves had basically evaporated.

Anyway, I'm convinced of the worth of GFIs in your darkroom. The ceramic heating element in my Jobo CPE2 cracked a while ago, which will have exposed the mains-voltage nichrome wire in the middle to the water bath. The GFI tripped immediately; it could have been nastier otherwise. (I've had UK mains (240VAC) electric shocks a couple of times before - on the one hand, it proves it's not necessarily fatal, on the other hand I know well not to want to do it again.)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post

Regarding the life-saving guarantee of GFI, in the unusual but plausible case of finding yourself in contact with both hot and neutral legs, but insulated from ground, how does the GFI device distinguish you from a toaster?
    I don't think it does - in that case I think you SOL unless the current is high enough to trip the breaker. I think a GFI circuit only protects you from contact with the hot wire while you're grounded.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a quick note regarding the Cooper GFCI sold through Home Hardware outlets. I purchased one today for my new darkroom, and can confirm its yellow light comes on only when the GFCI is tripped. This is probably one of the better candidates for the job.

Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin