Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,801   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

GFCI Receptacles have LED Lamps Now

My darkroom is in the laundry (Dust is a problem!) I am in the midst of re-wiring the house (it had the dreaded aluminum wire). Here in the US we have to use GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters) on the counters and within six feet of a sink. The problem is that the new GFCI's are equipped with LED lamps. Now I bought two major brands, Leviton and Cooper. The Leviton is totally unusable in the darkroom. It has a green LED that lights all the time, that one went to the kitchen. You might put a dab of paint on it but unless it is black the lamp will probably make the faceplate glow around it. The Cooper model is what I installed. It has a yellow LED but it only comes on during a ground fault. The light extinguishes when it is reset.

I did look at Leviton's catalog and they do make a model without the LED. Lowes and Home Depot don't carry it but one could probably get it from an electrical supply house. Hubbell also makes GFCI's but I didn't check to see if they made one without the LED.

We should all have the GFCI receptacles. If you have wet hands (like I often do) and touch the timer or enlarger there is risk of electrocution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my darkroom GFIs installed in the main box, rather than in each room. Breakers come in many amperages and suitable for many types of box.

No problem that way.

PE

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have my darkroom GFIs installed in the main box, rather than in each room. Breakers come in many amperages and suitable for many types of box.

No problem that way.

PE
    I thought that was against the national "standard" electrical code. I tried to do that and the building inspector told me "no way."

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you are rewiring, a possible option for you to consider would be to place the actuating gfci receptacle out of darkroom critical sight. Daisy chain your important exposed outlets to the out of sight one.

That's what the second set of terminals are for on the back of the gfci's, usually covered by a piece of tape that notes that they are not for the primary wiring from the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Blu Tack to the rescue

I found the little glowing thing on a new GFCI in the darkroom after I put in a dedicated circuit for the roller transport machine this summer.

So I dug out a bit of the sticky stuff my son uses to tack his artwork onto the walls of his room. Staples/Offiuce Depot sourced, as I recall, and it is blue in colur. It also, when more than a few mm thick, blocks light. It stiock on and stays on, and can be peeled off, and reapplied if you really want to look at the LED's some day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I thought that was against the national "standard" electrical code. I tried to do that and the building inspector told me "no way."

--Jeffrey
    Hmm - that doesn't sound right to me - you should be able to do that as long as all the outlets on the circuit are clearly labeled as GFIC. Perhaps you ran into some local code.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put duct tape over the LEDs.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gaffer tape?
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post

--Jeffrey
    When I put in my darkroom, I had all wiring inspected. At the same time I had installed GFIs in the Laundry room as well.

Everything passed inspection and a report was sent to my insurance company that all was well.

Some circuits cannot use GFIs in our house as the part that was built by the contractor uses an older standard where all returns are linked together. This will not accept GFIs. Each circuit must have its own return.

So, he patiently explained that houses with older wiring must have a GFI to replace each duplex plug. They cannot use a GFI breaker.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just put a small piece of black electrical tape over the led. Works fine.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin