Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,134   Online: 916

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

D2 Enlarger in Eastern Ontario ... pick it up or pass it on?

A friend of mine has an enlarger he wants to get rid of. It's a model # D2, and I don't know if it's an Omega or a Durst. It looks like Omega pictures I've found on the web, but he called it a Durst. I had a fast look at it and it "looks" complete and straight. It's basically clean, a bit dusty. There's one glass in the condensor lens chamber and it comes with three enlarging lenses, a 4x5 and 35mm carrier, two old timers, three safelight glasses (two are "new in box") and a Kodak darkroom thermometer which is about 15" long (and is in it's box).

I already have an Elwood 5x7 diffuser enlarger which is basically complete, set up and working perfectly that I would have to sell if I bought this one so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

He's asking $250, but has hinted VERY strongly that he'd like it out of his way (he's not a photographer) and that I should make him an offer, so I'll bet he'd sell it for less than $200.

Any opinions about differences in usability. I'm not having any trouble with the Elwood. Any reason that I should jump on this? Any one else have an interest if I pass on it? It's a bit north and east of Kingston.

cheers and thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, perhaps there is such a thing as a Durst D2, but the most common D2 would be the Omega. To make it a bit more complex, Omega made a DII and then later the D2. The two are often mixed up. Both the D2 and DII go up to 4x5. Here's a useful reference site: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Omega provided different condenser sets for different focal length lenses. So with one set provided, you'd be limited. Also, if memory serves, there should be 2 concave condenser lenses comprising the set. So if you just have one, there may be one missing.

$250 seems high by today's standards (I can't even say "even in Canadian $s" anymore), but close to that price could be justified if it's a D2, very clean and comes with a good selection of negative carriers and lens cones. At that price, I'd also expect a second set of condensers for a different focal length lens.

BTW, I have scanned copies of the instruction manuals for each and can send them if you'd like.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    A friend of mine has an enlarger he wants to get rid of. It's a model # D2, and I don't know if it's an Omega or a Durst. It looks like Omega pictures I've found on the web, but he called it a Durst. I had a fast look at it and it "looks" complete and straight. It's basically clean, a bit dusty. There's one glass in the condensor lens chamber and it comes with three enlarging lenses, a 4x5 and 35mm carrier, two old timers, three safelight glasses (two are "new in box") and a Kodak darkroom thermometer which is about 15" long (and is in it's box).

I already have an Elwood 5x7 diffuser enlarger which is basically complete, set up and working perfectly that I would have to sell if I bought this one so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

He's asking $250, but has hinted VERY strongly that he'd like it out of his way (he's not a photographer) and that I should make him an offer, so I'll bet he'd sell it for less than $200.

Any opinions about differences in usability. I'm not having any trouble with the Elwood. Any reason that I should jump on this? Any one else have an interest if I pass on it? It's a bit north and east of Kingston.

cheers and thank you
    Punt!
    Don Bryant

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi folks,

Thank you for the input. I think I'll take your advice and give it a pass. I'll also pass along the info to my friend. He's quite reasonable, so I suspect he'll lower the price substantially and post it in a local paper for sale.

cheers end thanks again.

MGB74 : thank you for the offer of the scans. If I do "end up" with it, I'd be grateful for the scans and will get back to you then.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin