Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,191   Online: 857

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dichroic Filter suggestions for Ilford 500H

Hi, folks -

Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough on the trigger to pick up the Anaylser 500 that was offered recently in the classifieds, and so will likely wind up acquiring one new (outch!). I have an e-mail in to Chris Woodhouse, who literally wrote the book on fine monochrome printing, but am wondering in the meantime if anyone has experimented with changing out the filters on their 500H head, and if so, what the colour specifications are. I'm looking to get greater contrast on the newer MC papers - with my controller set on a contrast setting of "5", I'm currently getting the equivalent of a 3 or so with my old condensor and an under-the-lens "3" Ilford M/C filter.

Many thanks, Graham

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just got a Focomat 2c with 500H mounted directly on top of the negative stage (not above the condensers as you sometimes see advertised on eBay) and I am amazed at the contast I get compared to my Focomat V35. On the V35 with Variocontrast module my "standard" negs needed Grade3 1/2; on the 2c I get the same contrast at Grade 2 or 2 1/2 (haven't had it long enough to work out which yet).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I replaced a broken set of filters using this supplier - http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1734 - I did have to modify their attachment to the lamp housings as I did not want to try cutting them down. They seem to be working just fine - I am getting VC results that you would expect at both ends.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Graham !
    Have you thought about placing a phone call to Ilford Photo people ?
    After all, if they do not made the unit themselves, they sold it and supplied spares for a long period of time. So they may help you and even supply spares.
    I had the same problem when I cleaned a really dirty CLS450 Durst color head. The WD40 I sprayed everywhere to make the rust and dirt loose stained the dichroic deposit on the filters. So I was forced to replace them. I bought them at FocalPoint (out of business). But the colors are not exactly as they were. It's irrelevant as I do not make color print anymore, but, be warned that there are dichroic filters and dichroic filters... I was warned by FocalPoint, but go ahead because he was the sole supplier able to cut the filters in the small size I needed. So I would contact Ilford and ask if they can give the specifications if they can't supply the spares.
    Have a look also at the mixing boxes. If they are lined with some kind of plastic they could have yellowed and reduce the contrast by suppling undesired yellow to the magenta.
    Just my 2 ¢ ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, guys. All is well, now - after more experimentation I sourced the problem to a wiring problem when I had the head serviced and rewired, not the filters at all, to my embarrassment. I'm now getting proper contrast across the full range. In fact, I like it so much I've picked up a second "backup" head locally, have invested in RH Designs excellent Analyser Pro, and put my old Ilford 400 MG system up for sale. Many thanks for the information and links, however.

Graham

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin