Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,408   Online: 894

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dave,

Don't forget that not every student prints full negative. Cropping an 8x10 negative then printing to 16x20 or 20x24 will take a little more extension depending on the percentage of crop.

On the other hand I have a 138S Durst converted to cold light in a darkroom with a seven foot two inch ceiling. The head is on the post about an inch under the ceiling for air movement. Making 20x24 prints I have never dropped the table its full range while using a 300mm lens. I have a 240mm to switch to, but have never needed it.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 11-21-2007 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images

Corrected

Hi Dave!
    Using "The equation for the distance D between film and image as a function of lens focal length f and magnification m is D = f * (m+1)^2 / m."

For 8x10 negs:

300mm lens: 2 mag (16x20) 135cm/53.2" 2.5 Mag (20x25) 140.8cm/55.5"

240mm lens: 2 mag (16x20) 108cm/42.5" 2.5 Mag (20x25) 112.7cm/46.3"

My DR has an 8' ceiling. I use a Durst 184 with Pavelle head. I use 240mm, 300mm, 360mm, as needed, but the 300 is the default. I have printed 20x24 with a 300mm. My Max D = 66.5" so, I could, theoretically, get to 3x (24X30) with my 300mm! Platen low/head high!!

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    What is the smallest column extention and lens needed to:

1. Make a 16 x 20 print from an 8 x 10 neg?

2. Make a 20 x 24 print from an 8 x 10 neg?

Thanks in advance. I knew you would know.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I don t have to do that! The little woman is doing that!:o :o :o
    Boy do I know that...I just purchased a 5x7 Enlarger to go with my 35mm and 4x5 Enlargers (they were lonely) and I wish she only raised the roof :o

I can't wait until we actually have space for my darkroom!

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think the important number is the distance between the negative and print.

The minimum that I come up with for an 8x10 negative using my spreadsheet intended for making these calculations is 43 inches for the above distance. That assumes no cropping.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never owned an enlarger, and now all I have is my 8x10 cam. So the question is (not trying to hijack the thread): Should I get a bigger camera or an 8x10 enlarger?

Hmmm, I do have a 16' ceiling in my DR....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rootberry View Post
    I've never owned an enlarger, and now all I have is my 8x10 cam. So the question is (not trying to hijack the thread): Should I get a bigger camera or an 8x10 enlarger?

Hmmm, I do have a 16' ceiling in my DR....
    Yet another possibility is to get the enlarger and print to what ever size you like, in my case 20x24. Then get a larger camera. A panoramic view is a great compliment to the 8x10 shape. I have 7x17 that I contact print in a frame built by Bill Schwab. This is used on the enlarger table under the enlarger light source and filters.

If you do a series of twenty images for a class or show this gives yet another level of interest to the group. Most shows push for uniformity of image size. In a photo critique at APUG-Toronto, Les McLean suggested a mix of 20x24, 7x17 contact prints and 4x5 contact detail prints. My instructor wanted uniformity, but I like the idea and have started to use it on my latest series for a potential show outside of school.

John Powers

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well 4 years after my original post inquiry I have finally found an 8 x 10 enlarger to my liking...thanks Tim B. The Bessler XL safely made the trip from Colorado to Las Vegas last month. The lab is coming together piece by piece and bit by bit....(so now I will hit the "Post Quick Reply" button
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Like" button.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my Super Chromega F Dichroic II with 300mm Nikkor for $750. It had all the stuff (fan, power box, ducting, etc), plus a voltage regulator (though it is only 1000W; 1500 or greater is preferable from what I hear). Plus I had to drive about 900 miles round trip to pick it up. I had to spend another $100 or so on a Lektra timer for it so I didn't blow out my Time-O-Lite. Deals are out there. I say wait for a deal to come, rather than doing a camera conversion. There are no compromises in functionality that way, and alignment, service, and parts are potentially easier to deal with.

Anyhow, my real point is that you actually need some decent headroom to make a 16x20 with a 300 lens. I cannot do it with the headroom I have, even with the shelf on the bottom rung. This is because I have 10 inches of column that I cannot use. I got the enlarger to print 5x7 and to make oversized proofsheets, so it is a bit frustrating until I get that figured out. it seems like I cannot even get to 2x magnification. 11x14 enlarged proofsheets is the max for me at this time. Since I don't think I will be moving any time soon, I am seriously considering trying to track down a wide-angle lens for the 8x10 format, if there is such a thing.

I might consider calling it good for now with the two E models you have. There are advantages in size. And then you get to shoot 5x7 instead of 8x10. It is half the price, and I actually prefer the aspect ratio greatly. At those print sizes, you don't effectively lose anything in quality if you have your students shoot and enlarge 5x7 instead of 8x10 (though you do lose the ability to make full enlarged proofsheets), and you save a lot of room and expense in your lab.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-13-2011 at 11:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I wonder how large of an enlargement can be made with a Beseler 8x10 conversion head on a Beseler 45m?
    The rails need not be used with the factory baseboard. So, you could go quite large if you make an elevated wall stand for the enlarger.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin