Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Faster setup ideas?

I was looking for some suggestions from you guys on how to do a faster darkroom setup. I have to share the laundry room for my darkroom, so speed helps.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's one I recently discovered: Set up a film tank line in a plastic storage bin. I've got one with three 5x7" tanks--Acufine/water rinse/TF-4--so at least when I want to process film in Acufine, I just pull it out of the closet, fill up the rinse tank and a separate wash tank, and I'm ready to go. I can put the lid of the bin on the sink and use it as a surface for film loading.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks David, but I'm looking for more of ideas for print making. I have all my film developing stuff [reels,tank, chemicals, beakers] on a shelf for film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Markok765,

The biggest setup time improvement came when I was able to keep my enlarger "ready to go". I was fortunate to have a corner where it could live on it's own cabinet (a drawer unit purchased from the damaged goods section at the local home center). Even if you have to put rollers on the bottom of a cabinet and the push it into place the time (and effort) savings compared with digging the enlarger out of a closet will be huge. It only takes a few minutes to lay out trays and pour the chemicals.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I takes me 2/ hour to take out enlarger, paper, paper cutter, lay down wooden board and put my trays on, mix chems, set up safelights, and generally get ready to print.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like this is a thread that would be a good candidate for the darkroom construction forum.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    My idea is not cheap but is ideal for a shared room. Try and get a Nova slot processor. It can sit in the laundry room, taking up very little space and is already filled with chems and if it is a thremostatically controlled one is constantly at the right temp. However if it's an indoor laundry room then the temp for B&W printing is probably about right. Check it with a thermometer and if it's about 20 degrees C or can be quickly brought up to that by a portable heater then the unheated Nova tanks are appreciably cheaper.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to keep my enlarger on a rolling cart, and my chemicals and other gear on the lower shelves of the cart. That made it easy to roll it in and out of my bathroom. originally, I did everything on a rack I made to fit in the tub, but I got tired of that and splurged on a Nova slot processor, like Pentaxuser is talking about. That sat on the bottom shelf of my enlarger cart, and let me print up to 16x20" in a very small space. The Nova processor is quite expensive, and probably out of your budget range, Marko, but they do make smaller ones (you might be able to wheedle one out of your folks for Christmas, if you haven't already asked them for other big-ticket items). The best option for speeding up setup though is having your enlarger on a stand that can be wheeled in and out of the laundry room, and where it can live while in use. Also, if you streamline your setup procedure (have the trays grouped together, the chemical mixing graduates together, chemicals together, and everything clearly labeled) that will also help a lot. When you can get the setup process standardized so it becomes a reflex, you'll set up and break down much faster. It just takes a bit of discipline.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with the idea of a Nova processor, I managed to find one on the second hand market(UK) pretty cheaply, add chemicals and your away.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Practice will help you find ways of making your situation more efficient.

In my last space, I kept the enlarger on a typewriter table and rolled it over the commode.

Fixer I always had mixed in advance, so I only had to mix developer for printing. I use a plain water rinse, rather than a stop.

I mounted my timer and safelights in the bathroom, so they were ready to go, and I just had to plug in the enlarger.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin