Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,978   Online: 858

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tindale View Post
    Scissors are absolutely useless on film - they just bend it over and over and after about twenty attempts they'll eventually hack through leaving very frayed edges. I use a scalpel on a cutting mat - one nice neat cut.
    You're not using good scissors. Fiskars is the brand to get, and they're quality items.
    Last edited by fschifano; 01-27-2011 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use plain scissors but do my cutting on top of a white paper. It makes aiming a lot easier! I also use the perforation as guide.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tindale View Post
    Scissors are absolutely useless on film - they just bend it over and over and after about twenty attempts they'll eventually hack through leaving very frayed edges. I use a scalpel on a cutting mat - one nice neat cut.

Your scissors must be in pretty rough shape. Been using cotton gloves and scissors for 20 plus years. Lately Reading glasses have been necessary and I'm sure using a light box is coming. On thing on the scissors, I have a good saw shop that also sharpens scissors and I do get mine sharpen when they get dull.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use barber scissors, and they work great for me. I just hold the film up to the window and use that Patented Grip you saw earlier. I also try to make the cut in one fell swoop. Er, snip.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Leica III puts the frames dangerously close together, but I don't think I've had a frame cut into yet! Knock on wood FWIW I'm just using these short round tip scissors made by Revlon- http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-Safety-.../dp/B001ET72KM

They're great in the changing bag too since they minimize the risk of cutting the bag or yourself! =D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a pair of kids art scissors, metal, rounded ends, nice long cut with no need to restart a cut. I found cutting the film over a light box helps as my Nikon N90 makes for close spacing. Best not done after too much coffee though. :o)
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin