Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,439   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Zone VI cold light

I just bought a Zone VI cold light head for my Beseler 45MCRX enlarger. Is it a good idea to find the stablizer for this head? Can I use it without one? I also read that I should not use my Gra-Lab 505 timer with this cold light due to possible voltage problems. If this is the case what would be a good recommendation for a timer? I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with my Dichro head but in the meantime I thought I would try the cold light. I know a lot has been said both pro and con but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

The head can be used without the stabilizer, but having one would make life much easier. Besides providing consistent exposures, the stabilizer also provides a means of easily adjusting the exposure for dry down. For what its worth, I've used a Gra-Lab 500 timer on my Zone VI head / stabilizer combination for more than 20 years without any issues. The 505 is similar, but you would need to compare specs to see if the 505 has the same capabilities as the 500.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Allen, thank you. I'm going to pick up the stabilizer when I can.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know about the timer, but yes to the stabilizer. Unstabilized, my light appears to flicker at a high frequency and is much lower intensity than stabilized. I don't know what that would mean from print to print, if bulb temperature would affect it, or the clothes dryer being turned on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Plus the stabilizer has a dimmer so you can change the light intensity instead of, or in addition to, the aperture.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ok, I got the head today and it looks to be in great shape. This question may seem obvious to some but there are two cords coming out of the head. Does one go into the wall and the other into my timer? I guess I can find out which one turns the light on but then what does the other cord do if you do not have the stabilizer? Thanks for the help.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The cold light has a pre-heater to reduce light intensity variation when the light first comes on. It has been years since I used one but I recall that the preheater plugs into the wall and the other into the stabilzer - the stabilizer into the timer.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bruce, thanks for the timely answer. I figured I'll have to use my metronome until I can find a stabilizer for this unit. By the way, I hope you had a good time in California on your recent vacation. It was nice to meet and talk to you at Muir Woods. All the best.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Ok, I got the head today and it looks to be in great shape. This question may seem obvious to some but there are two cords coming out of the head. Does one go into the wall and the other into my timer? I guess I can find out which one turns the light on but then what does the other cord do if you do not have the stabilizer? Thanks for the help.

Jim
    I have a scan of some Zone VI cold light and stabilizer instructions. PM me with your email if you'd like a copy.

Also, do a search of APUG because you will find some info about the stabilizer and the compensating timer (which is probably better than the stabilizer).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm also using a zone cold light without stabilizer and time-o-lite (timer). No issues at all. I missed out on a stabilizer (ebay) a couple weeks ago. Dry down and light intensity control for burning seems to be the stabilizers main advantages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin