Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,274   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get "Way beyond monochrome" by Woodhouse and Lambrecht and you don't need another....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tim Rudman's books (start with "The Photographer's Master Printing Course" ) are all uniformly excellent. I also concur with the Larry Bartlett book. I would definitely not start with Way Beyond Monocrome....it is a book you may want eventually, particularly if you are technically minded, but not to start with. There is also Bruce Barnbaum's book The Art of Photography (out of print) which is a great general photography book with a healthy dose of darkroom instruction.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own and use most of the above-also 'Edge of Darkness' [Barry Thornton] and John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop'. You need at least some knowledge to get the best out of them but they'll help you to grow as a darkroom worker and refine your seeing/printing.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I really enjoyed the following: Tim Rudman's Master Darkroom Book, Les McLean's Dynamic Black and White Photography(obtainable but out of print), Blakemore's (see above)which is presently available at Indigo in Canada, and the out of print Morgan and Morgan Darkroom Book.
    I can say I almost am addicted to books on the subject and have a real stash of dozens, but I think the most important step is to read these books very slowly and with some focus. The devil is the details. I find that its the second reading of these chapters that really pay off. The above books are written by very precise writers and one can't do them justice by just skimming over the texts. If you take that approach your print quality will make your heart sing! Any one of the above books can make you a better photographer as well as printer. It is that process that makes analog photography so 'holistic' and addictive.
    Good luck ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the books listed above are great suggestions.

If you are looking for a lab that still does Black and White, you might try GKing photo (no relation):

http://www.gkingphoto.com/index.htm

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a good thread if you are looking for commercial labs:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum235/...vancouver.html

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus 8 View Post
    Hi all
    I'm not new to photography, but I'm completely inexperienced on darkroom equipment, chemicals, etc.
    Thanks!
    Hi, I think most of the books mentioned are rather heavyweight for a quick start.

My recommendation is our very own Roger Hicks' "Darkroom Basics...and beyond". http://www.rogerandfrances.com has all the details under the "Books" link. Well written, well illustrated, with Roger's no nonsense approach.

After this, I would delve into the legendary Larry Bartlett book.

And yes, the two "Darkroom" volumes from the seventies are real gems...if you can find them. In these, some of the big guns in photography (e.g. Eugene Smith) explain their darkroom methods/approach in fairly lengthy articles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can anyone recommend a good book on the E-6 process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

more book suggestions

The Craft of Photography - David Vestal -circa 1974, updated edtion also is out there - tought me conventional B&W photography all on my own as a teenager.

E-6- some of the later 80's , early 90's Kodak Darkroom dataguides for the basic steps; Z-119 manual from Kodak web site - meant for the pro photolab crowd, but information in there for the amateur who reads it carefully.

Most kits have good enough instructions to make E-6 work from using the kit.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Darkroom Handbook by Michael Langford [Ebury Press] is a good intro with chapters for the more advanced stuff too-I've had a copy for nearly 25 years now [also recommend the Vestal].
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin