Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,484   Online: 1145
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Omega 45? Help.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    187

    Omega 45? Help.

    So I just discovered that my school has a 4x5 enlarger, which I am pumped about. The enlarger we've got has an Omega 45 condenser head (and two el-nikkors to boot). Problem is, where the hell does the neg carrier go? I only see a single bellows. Is there some piece of the enlarger missing that I'm too stupid to realize or just somewhere I hadn't thought to put the neg holder? Also, the lenses are 105mm and 135mm. I've never enlarged 4x5 before...will these be sufficient focal lengths?

  2. #2
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,224
    Images
    20
    If this is an Omega D type enlarger (it probably is--"Omega 45" was a monorail view camera line) there should be a lever on the left side to lift the condenser head, and the neg carrier fits just underneath the condensors on the neg stage. There are registration pins on the neg stage and notches on the carrier for centering the carrier on the neg stage. It's that simple.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #3
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,651
    Images
    14
    The negative stage is between the bellows and the condensors and should be easy to get at.
    Above the Bellows which is adjustable for different focal length lenses , is the Negative plate, there should be a handle which raises the condensor head, that gap is where the negative carrier should be inserted and there should be a flip front just below the bulb holder to put the top condensor into its proper position dependent on lens as well you can put different filters into this slot. I would suggest a glass carrier for this unit if you can get one used , get good glass anti newton on top and you should be in operational form.
    If this description does not make sense, you may have a really old unit that does not have the slot for moving filters in and out , but the insertion of the neg stage should be somewhat the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    So I just discovered that my school has a 4x5 enlarger, which I am pumped about. The enlarger we've got has an Omega 45 condenser head (and two el-nikkors to boot). Problem is, where the hell does the neg carrier go? I only see a single bellows. Is there some piece of the enlarger missing that I'm too stupid to realize or just somewhere I hadn't thought to put the neg holder? Also, the lenses are 105mm and 135mm. I've never enlarged 4x5 before...will these be sufficient focal lengths?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    187
    Great. Thanks for the info. It is a newer enlarger. Looks hardly used, actually. I was only able to toy with it for a couple minutes last night. I didn't notice any lever on the left but I'll have another look.

  5. #5
    ann
    ann is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,870
    Images
    26
    the 135 will cover 4x5, but some like a lens that is a bit more; i.e. 150.

    the 105 will cover 6x7 and 6x9, it is a bit long for 6x6 but could be used if necessary, the difference being the relationship of the lens to the baseboard, which may not be an issue for you.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

  6. #6
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,087
    I have a related question. I brought an Omega D5XL with the negative carriers. The negative carriers have two slots that I assume line up with pins. The pins are not there and I do not see a place to insert them. Is a plate missing on the bottom of the opening?

    Each set of negative carriers has a rectangular ring with the corner beveled off so technically it is not a rectangle but either a frustrated rectange or an irregular octogon. This enclosed ridge matches the opening above. I can raise the carrier to line up with the hole, but I have to hold the carrier up as I slowly lower the enlarger head with the lever on the left.

    An I missing something here physical or conceptwise?

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  7. #7
    Jon Shiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Elk, California
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    2,523
    Images
    33
    The older neg holders for D2 enlargers have the slots for pins going up from the neg stage. I think the newer neg holders have pins/or a circular guide that drops down into the hole in the neg stage.

    Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    The older neg holders for D2 enlargers have the slots for pins going up from the neg stage. I think the newer neg holders have pins/or a circular guide that drops down into the hole in the neg stage.

    Jon
    Entirely correct. I had a DII before and now have a D5 and they match this description.
    If somebody is in need of some DII pieces, I removed the best parts from it before bringing it to the dumpster.

    Greetings,
    G

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have a related question. I brought an Omega D5XL with the negative carriers. The negative carriers have two slots that I assume line up with pins. The pins are not there and I do not see a place to insert them. Is a plate missing on the bottom of the opening?

    Each set of negative carriers has a rectangular ring with the corner beveled off so technically it is not a rectangle but either a frustrated rectange or an irregular octogon. This enclosed ridge matches the opening above. I can raise the carrier to line up with the hole, but I have to hold the carrier up as I slowly lower the enlarger head with the lever on the left.

    An I missing something here physical or conceptwise?

    Steve
    Try flipping the negative carrier over. That "rectangular ring with the corner beveled off" should drop right into the hole in the plate the carrier sits on. This system is actually pretty slick IMHO compared to the D-II.

  10. #10
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorzen View Post
    Try flipping the negative carrier over. That "rectangular ring with the corner beveled off" should drop right into the hole in the plate the carrier sits on. This system is actually pretty slick IMHO compared to the D-II.
    I finally got the darkroom up and running this weekend. You solution worked like a charm! Thanx!

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin