Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,403   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    My guess is that it is a little bit more than 10 years old, but probably not 20.

Probably from the time when the industry was switching more to one hour photo.

If you worked in a large lab in the 1970s or 1980s, this would look quite familiar.

Too bad they don't have a similar video of an early 1970s Kodachrome line .

Matt
    I agree - probably more than 10 years old - could even be 20 - did you notice the prints were not borderless? I think it's been 20 years since I got back prints with borders.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, as I said, notice the APS. When did it come out?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    APS came out in the 90s. I want to say around 1994 or 95. I was working at the camera store at the time. So this would be up to 15 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And the big 'implosion' of analog was in about 2005.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw this on TV about a month or two ago. I think it was a segment on How it's Made in Discovery Science channel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I agree - probably more than 10 years old - could even be 20 - did you notice the prints were not borderless? I think it's been 20 years since I got back prints with borders.
    Some of the photos on the rolls were borderless. White borders are still an option these days (dunno why people like them, though) so it'd make sense to keep them all on one roll if that was one of the magic tickyboxes.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kman627 View Post
    I saw this on TV about a month or two ago. I think it was a segment on How it's Made in Discovery Science channel.
    That is correct..a segment of "How It's Made" which is a Canadian produced show, that airs on the Discovery channel (cable tv) in the USA.

Just think, the video showing the inside of the film processing equipment had to be made with waste film, as it would all be ruined in the lighting required for video or film shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I assume this is something educational made 10 or more years ago before digital took over. It is probably Canadian. Discovery is a cable channel here. I think the image at the very end is Perce Rock, on the Gaspe penninsula (sorry I don't know how to do the appropriate accents on perce and gaspe on my computer). The other side of Canada from here, but one of those iconic images that turns up frequently.
    Sly
    I'll give them to you: Rocher Percé, which is located in the peninsula of Gaspésie, near the city of Percé.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My sister in law worked 20 years at a lab like that. It was locally owned, then bought by Konica and then shut down. She gave me cases and cases of outdated color film and plastic frames. I didn't have the heart to tell her I only shoot b&w. I was years giving that cheap film away!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Just think, the video showing the inside of the film processing equipment had to be made with waste film, as it would all be ruined in the lighting required for video or film shooting.
    Part of the process of calibrating and maintaining the large Kodachrome machines required the labs to run film leader through the process, until everything was up to spec. Those rolls of leader were very, very long. Although this is clearly C41, they may be using something similar in these machines during that part of the video.

Matt

P.S. I frequently order prints with borders at my local Walmart one hour photo. It doesn't seem to create any problem for them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin