Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,961   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    sounds very similar to a heiland. Extremely easy to use and does both transmission and reflected.

densitometers are great learning tools and once you know what you are doing they can save a lot of testing time. But they can also lead you to become a slave to numbers. For example, AA said logD 1.3 for zone VIII on diffusion enlargers. I wonder how many people have actually tested that 1.3 is the correct value for their normal paper and their chosen number of 1 stop zones with normal film development. My guess is very very few of them. They use AAs numbers without question and use the densitometer to confirm their faith. This is foolhardy. You must calculate where Zone VIII should be for your working methods, equipment and materials. You may be surprised at the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I used to only use them to prove there was a problem and NOT to prove that it was done correctly.

Even then, they can be very helpful.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So I'm going to get a step wedge for calibration from Stouffer, as well as some microwave dinners. Would the 21 step wedge in .15 density increments with a dmax of 3.05 be sufficient, or should I go for the 31 step wedge in .10 density increments? Or even the 41 step wedge in .10 density increments with a dmax of 4.05? Also, what is the difference between Standard, Calibrated, and Calibrated & Certified?

Thanks so much for all the help everyone, I'm hoping that once I get the densitometer working properly and find my personal film speed and development times that I'll be able to avoid situations like the one I'm in now, with a gorgeous negative but a bulletproof sky.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    21 step should be fine for most purposes -- The difference is the exactitude of traceability to recognized standards; you pay more for accuracy in density graduations between steps.

However, you can buy the standard and it will work perfectly fine for your purposes, just be sure to measure and note the densities on the scale, they won't be perfectly uniform, but will suffice for your (and just about anybody's) needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin