Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,411   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

So I've got a densitometer........ now what?

I picked up a Nuclear Associates Victoreen Digital Densitometer II off Ebay for not too much, but at this point I can go no further. It turns on, and the number on the display increases when a denser portion of negative passes under the probe thingy but now I have no idea how to proceed. I'm going to re-read The Negative, but have a few questions until I get my hands on a copy. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for it, ideally in PDF form? How to I calibrate the darn thing? Thanks for the help with this!

- Justin

Edit: OK, I've found the manual so now I've got some bedtime reading.
    Last edited by Removed Account; 12-21-2007 at 01:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: update

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not familiar with that type. Is it transmission only or also reflection? I am going to check my Agfa densitometer in the darkroom. Back in 10
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I am back. Had to look as it has been a while. Mine has 2 adjustment screws for transmission and 2 for reflection. For reflection, I have a plastic card with a white and an 18% patch. For transmission you need (for calibration) a step wedge with 0 density and 2.00 density. The probe has a button for instant zeroing for use with film. It corrects for your light table illumination and film plus base fog. The any densities can be read. I have 2 of these units and never had to adjust the calibration. I used them commercially for 18 years. It was accurate up to a density of 4.5.
    BTW the reflection calibration needs a .10 and a 2.00 density. A fixed ( no image) piece of photo paper will be very close to .10 and a solid black will be very close to 2.00
    Now that I have thoroughly confused you, if you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

Regards

Richard
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It was designed for reading x-rays, so it is transmission and good for black and white film. It is supposed to come with little apertures to put over the light (3mm, 2mm, and 1mm) but these would be easy enough to fashion. This is a link to the manufacturer's page.

For calibration, would a sheet of film fixed and one exposed to room light developed and fixed work? Mine has a knob for zeroing.

- Justin
    Last edited by Removed Account; 12-21-2007 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your manual should give you what you need to know. I hope
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.stouffer.net/

you need a step wedge to calibrate it
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks! I've checked the manual and that seems to be the only thing I'll need (other than my little apertures, which I can make). Hooray for testing!

- Justin

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have said, but I'll put it in a nutshell. None of the numbers mean D*&^ S@#$ until you calibrate it. Nice score.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    well in transmission mode it should read zero with nothing in it. And in reflection mode it should read 0.7 with a kodak grey card in it. if it does either of those then its probably not far off.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Generally, you zero the film base on the film you are measuring. Though I am not sure that means its completely accurate at higher densities. The problem with a densitometer that I am facing is no one local will repair it and the cost of shipping my macbeth is more than I am willing to pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin