Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,834   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Before the major push in digital, we used a VCNA *video ,colour ,negative,analyser.*
    we used this to get a good starting balance , for our negs then used a translator to tune the negative readings to the paper channel . After the first test we then went fully manual for precision adjustments.
    A good VCNA operator was the key to the best workflow

1978 time frame, it was a perfect tool for working on colour negatives,

I think I would look at this screen the same way , basically an good tool.
    I was not aware that RH made this with their timers and I am glad you posted this thread , as it could be useful in our shop.
    Hi Bob,

I think you are the first person I've heard talk of a VCNA in years! I'm very familiar with them. I trained many operators how to use the system and it worked very well. It was a great tool for the lab and for our customers and it was amazing to see how good the quality could be. It couldn't match our 100% hand enlarged prints (no dodging or burning) but for inexpensive color enlargements it was hard to beat.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Stop Clock pro and owning it hasn't stopped me from using up half of the Amazon rainforest to make a decent print. I don't think the technology, as great as it is, can substitute for technique and experience.

That bastard Carnie could probably produce a great print using the sun and a sundial!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    I was considering purchasing the Stop Clock Professional in combination with the Zonemaster II from RH Designs; and in the future maybe the Analyzer Pro. After reading what they are capable of doing, I have come to the conclusion that I may as well switch to digital. They basically give you all of your exposures, and even have a gray scale screen that allows you to see the image before you print it. You are basically photo-shopping your images in the darkroom with a different type of computer.

There are many Apuger's who despise digital, but yet these same individuals own some of the equipment previously mentioned. Can they not be considered as "QUASI-DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS", or even worse "WET DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS"?

I am not posing this question as a means of starting confusion. I really want to purchase equipment from RH Designs, but do not know if I can still call myself a traditional photographer by using it.

Do I have a point, or am I overeacting?

I am assuming that you are currently using a metronome, or perhaps a hand wound analog clock. Is this correct? It seems to me to use anything other than those two things would start throwing you into the realm of "Quasi-Digital" would it not???

So, if you are not currently using a metronome (which, btw, I happen to know a very GOOD printer who does just that) then, perhaps you need to decide exactly why you are considering these purchases. What will owning them do for you? What are the benefits?

I own a StopClockPro, and I still have to make just tons of decisions about my printing. It helped tremendously to learn about split-grade printing from one of our resident pros (the venerable Les McLean), and the SC Pro has reduced considerable the amount of paper I waste in the darkroom.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Until two years ago this upcoming January I knew nothing of photography. I had not even loaded a piece of film. Now, I can't get it out of my system, especially printing. There is nothing like watching the image emerge from the developer. It is my goal to one day be a master printer, but I did not know that other tools such as timers or analysers were being utilzed until I joined APUG. I only knew test-strips, burning, and dodging.

If I were to purchase the RH Designs equipment that I previously mentioned and bring them into the darkroom I know that my fellow students and teachers would have alot of questions and would accuse me of using digital manipulations. With the answers that you have given me I feel more comfortable with purchasing them and feel that I can adequately defend their use when asked questions.

I was just a bit confused with the use of the gray-scale screen, but it seems as though such items were used in the past as well.

Thanx

Shooter
    35mm
    Whoaa...

Calm down everyone. I like the product which is why I posed the question. It is not my intent to offend anyone who uses any of them. I am just a bit confused as to whether or not by using them if it is similar to digital or photoshop because of the gray display screen that allows you to see the image before printing it.

That is why I asked if I had a point or if I was overreacting. If I am overreacting, which it seems as though I am, I will purchase them in the near future.
    Well then I wont go off. I wouldn't have anyway.

I get these sorts of arguments from digivangelists occasionally, trying to assert that there isn't a difference in our processes (why that is so important to them IDK) usually targeting enlargers as machines (which they are, for even a shovel is a machine) and this falls into a bit of the same category.

Digi imagery takes an image in an analog form and converts it to bits, using an "analog to digital converter" It works a little bit like the transporter in Star Trek. The image is chopped up into discreet identifiable parts that exist only as numbers. The numbers have values assigned. A complex processor and program interprets those numbers, regurgitates the values, and arranges the information as an image again. All of this concerns the image, and direct machinations concerning the image are made by powerful processors and software, directly to the numbers. You sit by, and attempt to control and direct the manipulations through an interface. It is a very powerful process, and very capable in the hands of the right person.

In the darkroom, a timer controls how long a light bulb turns on, and that's it, no matter how fancy it is.

The only point here is the one on my head.

Welcome to APUG BTW!
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-24-2007 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I know where you are coming from with this. You've prided yourself for a while with your low-tech approach and wondering if this is a sell out. Let me assure you its not.

And having seen Les Mclean operate one, I seriously reckon he could get a tune out of his one. He IS the Jimmy Page of StopClock Pros. Play Stairway there Les

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Until two years ago this upcoming January I knew nothing of photography. I had not even loaded a piece of film. Now, I can't get it out of my system, especially printing. There is nothing like watching the image emerge from the developer. It is my goal to one day be a master printer, but I did not know that other tools such as timers or analysers were being utilzed until I joined APUG. I only knew test-strips, burning, and dodging.

If I were to purchase the RH Designs equipment that I previously mentioned and bring them into the darkroom I know that my fellow students and teachers would have alot of questions and would accuse me of using digital manipulations. With the answers that you have given me I feel more comfortable with purchasing them and feel that I can adequately defend their use when asked questions.

I was just a bit confused with the use of the gray-scale screen, but it seems as though such items were used in the past as well.

Thanx
    I am going to recommend this to you... if you ever have the opportunity to take a darkroom class with Les McLean, PLEASE do so! I took so many darkroom classes at my local JC that the teacher finally told me to just come & not pay for the class. BUT, it was not until I took Les' darkroom class that I learned how little I really knew!
    I am glad you found the darkroom and relish the joy you feel with printing! It's kinda why we are all here!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Fintan...

You hit it right on the nose. I was wondering if I would be a sell out. After printing with nothing besides my calcualations I did not know if this was the right thing to do or not. I just needed feedback from my fellow Apuger's on the matter. It seems as though I may have overreacted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You haven've over-reacted really, your workflow is important to you, it is to all of us.

Treat yourself to a StopClock in the new year, its anything but a sell-out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that jamusu just found out how the guy felt in those old B&W western movies who accused the gunslinger of cheating at cards!

PS...Is is just me, or did John Wayne act better in those movies than he did in his later color ones?

Merry Christmas, everyone.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin