Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,671   Online: 860

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RH Designs = Digital?

I was considering purchasing the Stop Clock Professional in combination with the Zonemaster II from RH Designs; and in the future maybe the Analyzer Pro. After reading what they are capable of doing, I have come to the conclusion that I may as well switch to digital. They basically give you all of your exposures, and even have a gray scale screen that allows you to see the image before you print it. You are basically photo-shopping your images in the darkroom with a different type of computer.

There are many Apuger's who despise digital, but yet these same individuals own some of the equipment previously mentioned. Can they not be considered as "QUASI-DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS", or even worse "WET DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS"?

I am not posing this question as a means of starting confusion. I really want to purchase equipment from RH Designs, but do not know if I can still call myself a traditional photographer by using it.

Do I have a point, or am I overeacting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a bit of a stretch to suggest that you are making a photo shopped print when using a digital timer in the darkroom.

If you find them convenient tools, use them. If not... don't. I like my flasher thingy, and I decide the time to use. I've never quite figured out the timer I have so I still use my trusty Time-O-Lite.

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd say that the RH Designs stuff is more akin to using AE and electronic shutters than digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Overacting.
    it's just like the same that leaving the meter at home: It's a help not a replacement of common sense or a completely different kind of work.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    I was considering purchasing the Stop Clock Professional in combination with the Zonemaster II from RH Designs; and in the future maybe the Analyzer Pro. After reading what they are capable of doing, I have come to the conclusion that I may as well switch to digital. They basically give you all of your exposures, and even have a gray scale screen that allows you to see the image before you print it. You are basically photo-shopping your images in the darkroom with a different type of computer.

There are many Apuger's who despise digital, but yet these same individuals own some of the equipment previously mentioned. Can they not be considered as "QUASI-DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS", or even worse "WET DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS"?

I am not posing this question as a means of starting confusion. I really want to purchase equipment from RH Designs, but do not know if I can still call myself a traditional photographer by using it.

Do I have a point, or am I overeacting?
    Before I just go off....

You are being serious, right?
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-24-2007 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographic analysers esp those meant for analogue colour printing were around before the first consumer digicam was on the market. Ditto goes for all those handheld lightmeters when TTL metering was still a thing of the future. My take: especially these days analogue photography can use all the help it can get

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, you don't have a point, and yes, you are overreacting, and talking daft to boot.
    If you don't like the product why are you considering purchase?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Whoaa...

Calm down everyone. I like the product which is why I posed the question. It is not my intent to offend anyone who uses any of them. I am just a bit confused as to whether or not by using them if it is similar to digital or photoshop because of the gray display screen that allows you to see the image before printing it.

That is why I asked if I had a point or if I was overreacting. If I am overreacting, which it seems as though I am, I will purchase them in the near future.
    Last edited by jamusu; 12-24-2007 at 10:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...whether or not by using them if it is similar to digital or photoshop because of the gray display screen that allows you to see the image before printing it.
    Then Polaroid is just like digital too!

No, seriously, the Analyser hasn't got anything to do with digital photography, because the photography isn't digital, only the analyser is. The grayscale 'preview' is based on a series of calibration tests with your enlarger/paper/developer combo. It basically predicts where the tones will be on the grayscale, without you having to make a test strip. The final print is still a product of your analog craftsmanship and based on your printing skills. The only difference is that you don't have piles of used test strips in the bin after a day of printing. And it's a great timer too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Before the major push in digital, we used a VCNA *video ,colour ,negative,analyser.*
    we used this to get a good starting balance , for our negs then used a translator to tune the negative readings to the paper channel . After the first test we then went fully manual for precision adjustments.
    A good VCNA operator was the key to the best workflow

1978 time frame, it was a perfect tool for working on colour negatives,

I think I would look at this screen the same way , basically an good tool.
    I was not aware that RH made this with their timers and I am glad you posted this thread , as it could be useful in our shop.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin