Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,083   Online: 861

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper Flasher II setup

Here's how I've rigged up my Paper Flasher from RH Designs.

I split a pair of little stainless hors-d'oeuvres tongs ($7) in half then heated the end and bent it. The flasher is glued with a double-sided foam sticky pad-thing. The flexible arm is a component of a Manfrotto-type Super Clamp. Having the clamp means that the setup is movable.

From now on, I'll have to pick up those little pickles with my fingers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1146.jpg   IMG_1147.jpg   IMG_1151.jpg  
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a great arrangement.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a clearer pic and description of the Super Clamp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexible-Arm-for...QQcmdZViewItem
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess I'm in the dark (pun intended) but I hadn't heard of the Paper Flasher. It looks like you have a nice setup but there really isn't a need for a fancy setup with paper flashing. It looks like the Paper Flasher is an answer looking for a problem. Currently, I just use a 2nd enlarger. In the past, I used the enlarger that I was printing on simply by putting a diffuser under the lens and adjusting the lense aperture to an f/stop that I had determined in testing at an exposure time also determined by a simple test that only takes a couple minutes. There's no need for more equipment. In the past, I even had a simple light box with a cheap lens setup above a table in my darkroom all ready to go with it's own timer. When I wanted to flash something, I just laid the paper on the table and it the timer button. No problem. Even a bare 5 watt bulb with most of it taped over will do the job. I like to keep things simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It actually is simple...

It actually IS simple, just that little light and the little timer. Not really fancy, either. I just wanted to show it since there have been some recent threads about how to proceed with the RH Designs model, including one thread discussing how to keep a consistent height during flashing.

The way it's set up with the flex arm, I can keep it at a consistent height from the flashed paper, you see, which I can't do if I attach the flasher to the stage of my enlarger. I can also swing it out of the way quite readily.

I don't have the space for another enlarger (nor would I care to invest in one for this sole purpose), so this is really the cat's arse for me. Also, if my I may gently suggest, another enlarger or a light box and lens do qualify as "more equipment" as well . But I'm sure you're correct that they do work fine.

Cheers from big-snow Ottawa!
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice solution! I have twin enlargers (I use one for 35mm & one for medium format) next to each other on my bench. I put a piece of velcro on the back of the flasher and the corresponding velcro piece on the underside of the enlarger. I keep the timer between the two enlargers, and only have to switch the flasher between them.

This is a great idea to have a thread about using the flasher! I'll post pics of my setup later today!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin