Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,712   Posts: 1,514,645   Online: 1014

Shooter
    35mm RF

Omega D2 vs Focomat Ic

I just printed the same negative on an Omega D2 and Focomat Ic. Both have 50mm Focotar lenses. I used a the same paper on each and adjusted exposure to get each as close to the other in overall exposure and tone. It seems to me that the Focomat has more shadow detail. Has anyone else had experience using these two enlargers? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I noticed that on mine also. My guess was that the condensers on the Focomat are precisely designed for 35mm. That's all it does. The D2 condenser system is adapted to work for 35mm. The better the focus of the light rays, the less you have light scatter.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You don't menition what the light sources are but I will assume - as John did - that they are condenser heads. If that is the case, John gave you your answer. But they are different light sources, please tell us so we can help you.

The double condensers are slightly more contrasty deepening the shadows.

On a scale, point light source, opal bulb double condenser, opal bulb single condenser, V35 by Leica, diffusion head or cold light, contact print. Total spread about one paper grade not counting the point light.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin