Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 807

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    911 what's your emergency, I cannnn't wake himmmmm...... He was printing......Printing??????......yes printing and heee isn't breathing........ Is he using Dektol diluted 1:1 or 1:2????????? I think he is using Selectol....... OK help is on the way...... Mam the camera shop doesn't answer.......... Will you just wait there????????? Yes, it's nice and warm now that the propane heater is going but it's almost out of gas........

Seriously, don't heat with a propane heater in your basement. I worked in an ER in Seattle and saw first hand what carbon monoxide poisoning can do. It's a terrible scene when a family comes in and most of them die right there. It's not worth it, I am so glad that you posted this, and I don't want to preach to you but it can happen so fast that you won't even have a clue until you wake up in the hyperbaric chamber or end up on a vent in some ICU with no brain function left and the family there deciding what to do. The cheap cost of a gas heater isn't worth a darn if you aren't here to post with us.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe a moderator can change the title to this thread to "Unbelievably Dangerous Darkroom Improvement"

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My darkroom is the same 52F. Go figure. I have elected to heat with a large (12,000 BTU) space heater. I have 800 sq feet and it is good to go in about an hour. In 2 hours, it is up to 72F. This includes what the exhaust fan draws off as I work. I have plugged it into a 220VAC outlet and swap it with my UV light source as it generates all sorts of heat itself.

As for the summer, I have installed an AC unit as well. I picked one up at Costco and I vent the hot air from the compressor outside. Does a pretty fair job as well. It only get's up to about 78F, but I have a bit of paper and film I keep in there as well and would like to keep it cool.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a confession to make. I did sometimes wonder if the U.S. APUGers weren't just a little overly concerned with health and safety issues but not this time. I had a tiny propane gas heater, originally not properly flued to the outside in a fairly large caravan. I tried it before setting off for a short period with a window open and it was clear to me that it just wasn't safe.

Unless it is properly flued to the outside and you have carbon monoxide detectors as well I think this could be very dangerous, given the time you'll be in there and your isolation.

At least get a qualified gas engineer to look at everything.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I have a confession to make. I did sometimes wonder if the U.S. APUGers weren't just a little overly concerned with health and safety issues but not this time. I had a tiny propane gas heater, originally not properly flued to the outside in a fairly large caravan. I tried it before setting off for a short period with a window open and it was clear to me that it just wasn't safe.

Unless it is properly flued to the outside and you have carbon monoxide detectors as well I think this could be very dangerous, given the time you'll be in there and your isolation.

At least get a qualified gas engineer to look at everything.

pentaxuser

Yes. Combustible heaters, without chimneys or dedicated exhaust tubes that run outside, aren't meant for indoor use. They consume oxygen and they output toxic gas. The heat is basically the same as the exhaust (simplification, but effectively true), so if you have adequate ventilation you won't stay warm and the whole schebang is pointless.
    Last edited by walter23; 01-02-2008 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Man, I'm glad that guy survived his experiment, and recognized his headache for what it was. Any kind of fuel burning heater must not be used unvented indoors unless it is specifically made for that purpose (and even then I'd be suspicious.) As well as being odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide has an anesthetizing effect while it it poisoning you. It makes you feel like you just want to take a nice little nap, and next thing you know you wake up dead.

I fought the same cold winter basement darkroom fight. My problem is mostly solved with a very small wired-in 220VAC electric baseboard heater, finished off with a really cool temperature controlled water bath for my developer tray to sit in.

Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For a cheap heater to use in a small room use a hair drier. They also make good emergency heaters for kids rooms when the central heater stops working. In your case you'll probably need to make sure it isn't on when developing or enlarging as the heater coils are usually in the end of the tube, other wise there are plug in wall timers that can set them off at intervals. Best to put on a non-flammable surface and set to low if sleeping. Some are quite powerful so look for a larger one if heating a cold room like yours.
    W.A. Crider

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a little oil filled electric heater for our second bathroom. It appears safe and throws a ton of heat. I was surprised at how warm the space got after a while.

C

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    I just bought a little oil filled electric heater for our second bathroom. It appears safe and throws a ton of heat. I was surprised at how warm the space got after a while.

C

I also recommend getting an oil-filled radiator heater. They sell for around 30 to 60 USD, heat up quickly, include a thermostat, and keep warm for a long while. I have used one during my Nova Scotia days and was very happy with it. No increase in electricity consumption detected... Regards, Markus Albertz

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are Kerosene heaters that are designed as room heaters..as well as if you have natural gas service you could install a "blue flame" type of gas space heater that has built-in sensors for oxygen depletion..shuts the heater down if oxygen gets below a certain level. I used one of those round wick cylindrical style Kerosene heaters in my garage for years. The garage is not air-tight due to big garage doors at either end that are leaky..but the Kerosene heater put out plenty of heat...multiple times more heat than any electric heater. I wonder what makes a propane heater so much more dangerous??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin