Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,210   Online: 955

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm
    "Tuke?" The correct spelling (at least in Ottawa) is T-O-Q-U-E.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analogfotog View Post
    "Tuke?" The correct spelling (at least in Ottawa) is T-O-Q-U-E.
    Okay, so that's our topic for today.
    Toques.
    Take off to the Great White North
    Take off, it's a beauty way to go
    Good day, eh?

(Sorry about that, but every time I hear the word "toque", I think of the "Great White North" show with Doug and Bob McKenzie.)

Images
    Everytime I hear the word Toque, I think Toke, then flash back to giggly days combating cotton mouth and the munchies.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a toque that I have had for years and thought no be deal. It has the word TOQ at the top and an diagonal line below it.

The first time my girlfriend looked at it, she burst out laughing. I asked her what was so funny. She pointed out that the hat had one and only one "TOQ", then she pointed to the line and said, "Where is the line relative to the TO?"

====> It is one toque over the line!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kirk, the only person I ever knew personally who used "eh" like the fictitious MacKenzie brothers was my own father. I would say to him something like, "I failed Math again" and his response, after looking up from his newspaper, would be a rather surprised, "EH?!?"

If you want to indulge in a REAL Great White North experience, try getting a case of beer, preferably Moosehead, and drink it straight from the bottle, Canadian style. Or come to Ottawa and have a Beaver Tail while strolling along the Rideau Canal, which isn't quite frozen yet. Soon, we hope, in time for Winterfest...

Good grief, NOBODY talks like those two did on that show!!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Actually my inlaws up in BC do the "eh" about a thousand times a day. I even start doing it if I am around them too much.

Dennis.

My wife calls our stocking caps tukes. It has rubbed off on me. Tuke was my misspellling. I am an American. That is my American spelling. Toque would be toke to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    . Tuke was my misspellling. I am an American. That is my American spelling. Toque would be toke to me.
    That also accounts for the different spelling of a financial instrument: In the US its check, in Canada it's cheque, same pronounciation.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's okay, Dennis; it's surprising just how many Canadians can't spell it properly! I have also seen it spelled T-U-Q-U-E, as in La Tuque, a city in Quebec about 180 miles from Montreal.

There must be an open air source unless you wish to call the mortician.

May I suggest one of the liquid filled electric heaters? It helps to insulate the darkroom also. Floor, ceiling and walls. Heat requirement is minimal if insulated.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin