Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,135   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Unbelievable darkroom improvement.!!

I spend an awful lot of time in my basement darkroom and it takes a tremendous amount of electric space heater use to get the temp up to 60F. Or I could run the gas furnace and heat the whole unoccupied house at an astronomical cost. This morning as I went to work the temp down there was 52 degrees F. Long johns, fingerless gloves, tuke and jacket. But a friend dropped by with a propane heater he isn't using and the thing is fantastic. A heating element about the size of a tea saucer and it cranks out the heat like you wouldn't believe and it burns at a color that looks about like my safe light. I am in heat heaven and may not come out of the darkroom till Spring. I will see how much it costs to get new cans of gas but my friend assures me it will be less than 20 bucks a month.

Dennis
    Yes I have good ventilation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Yes I have good ventilation.
    Yes, please don't kill yourself. Get a monoxide detector, just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that you now have a source of ignition in your darkroom, that can ignite combustibles, and combustible vapors. I also wonder what compounds are being formed by the combustion of small amounts of darkroom vapors, but IDK.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A monoxide detector sounds like a good idea. I will look into that. My basement is so drafty and I have a great fan over the sink and I keep the whole basement dark so I am not closed into a small room so I think it might not be too dangerous but if I feel like laying down on the floor and going to sleep I will drag myself over and turn the thing off.
    DP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A monoxide detector sounds like a good idea. I will look into that. My basement is so drafty and I have a great fan over the sink and I keep the whole basement dark so I am not closed into a small room so I think it might not be too dangerous but if I feel like laying down on the floor and going to sleep I will drag myself over and turn the thing off.
    DP
    If the heat stays so does the CO
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it might not be too dangerous but if I feel like laying down on the floor and going to sleep I will drag myself over and turn the thing off.
    DP
    CO poisoning doesn't always work like that. Many a mechanic has been found slumped dead over a running engine, screwdriver in hand, with an open garage door. All it takes is the right atmospheric condition.

I'm not a safety nazi, but please be careful, and err on cautions side with this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure to get a battery powered detector and test the battery often.

The ones that are just little strips that detect CO are not so great. You'll notice them change color just as you pass out, fall to the floor and die.

Be VERY careful. Make sure the heating unit is one rated for ventless indoor use.

Using a propane heater not rated as such, in an unvented, indoor area is not a great idea. Even when they are burning efficiently, they consume the oxygen. Without a sufficent air supply and sufficient exhaust (both of which are not small), you can run into problems fast. A typical darkroom exhaust fan will not be sufficient. On our jobsites, we often have problems, and that is just with leaky tarps as an enclosure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get an adapter to go from the little canisters to a 20lb barbecue style tank. I think coleman makes them.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the large size can but HA HA the joke is on me. Even at 12 feet away it is way too bright. A nice zone 6 fog on the paper in 2 minutes. I am going to have to keep it around the corner pointed the other way. I'll check into a monozide sensor today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the same problem, but a different solution. I have an ancient mounting press and I realized that it is a pretty darn good heater. A little tape over the green light and I'm set. I can't imagine wearing out the coils given how much I use it. It doesn't get the place real warm, but a few degrees makes a big difference.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    SERIOUSLY BAD IDEA ALERT

It took less than an hour to develop a nasty headache even with the heater in the next room and the wall fan running. Better to buy more long johns than to collapse and die in the developer tray.

I better start this year over.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin