Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,095   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

enlarger lens for Omega Prolab 4x5

Hey, all -

I've got an Omega Prolab 4x5 enlarger (70" column) that I've not used yet. It's been waiting for a lens so I can start printing the 4x5 negs I've been amassing.

I did some googling and have searched APUG, and from what I've seen, people are successfully using a Componon 135mm lens with good coverage for 4x5. I've just tried that lens (both an older model and a new one) and I still have a definite lack of coverage. I'm not sure why the 135 works for others and not for me.

I know that the natural lens for enlarging 4x5 is a 150mm. I just want to be sure that the 150 will resolve the problem before attempting to find and pay for one.

My apologies if this is an ignorant question, or if I haven't included sufficient information. I've done plenty of printing in my time, but I've only ever used one enlarger, so I'm a bit novice where darkroom equipment is concerned. I've had the 4x5 enlarger for a few years now, and have never fired up the beast.

Thanks in advance!

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some googling and have searched APUG, and from what I've seen, people are successfully using a Componon 135mm lens with good coverage for 4x5. I've just tried that lens (both an older model and a new one) and I still have a definite lack of coverage. I'm not sure why the 135 works for others and not for me.

I know that the natural lens for enlarging 4x5 is a 150mm. I just want to be sure that the 150 will resolve the problem before attempting to find and pay for one.

I have several 135s, all have the same issues, I use a 162 Wollensak or a 150 Vivtair.

Shooter
    35mm
    My 135 Nikkor covers quite happily on my Chromega D, as well does a Wolly 135 Raptar. Is the condenser in the top slot?

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheryl, do you have the lens turret on it? The lens that came with the enlarger turret was a Rodenstock (bottom line) Omegaron 135mm. I've had some issues with printing 4x5 negs with that lens, not getting coverage from corner to corner. I've had to burn in the corners every time which is a pain in the rear end every time to get it to look smooth.
    I've been looking for an upgrade too, but can't afford one yet.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    My 135 Nikkor covers quite happily on my Chromega D, as well does a Wolly 135 Raptar. Is the condenser in the top slot?

J

Heh heh. No, because I'm apparently not smart enough to think of that. Good Lord, I'm getting senile. Condenser is now in the top slot. I can still see some fall off in the corners, but obviously it's better. Think I'll still have to look for that 150, but at least I can play a bit with the 135.

Thanks -

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I think the condenser is supposed to be taken out of the top compartment when enlarging 4x5. From last time I used my ProLab I remember having a significant bellows draw for 4x5.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thomas, the instructions on the enlarger say the 135 should be on the top slot, and that the condenser should be removed for 150 and longer.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must have a 150mm lens then. Sorry for the confusion.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    135 = top slot

150 = remove completely
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Images
    I've installed a variable condenser head on my old DII. The first time I used it with my 135 Rodagon, with the movable condenser in the 135 slot, I got major vignetting. I remove the removable condenser, which is what is appropriate for a 150mm lens, and everything was fine. I use both a 135mm lens (for 16x20's) and a 150mm (for 11x14's). I don't have enough column height to use the 135mm for 16x20's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin