Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,851   Online: 933

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    The homemade unit will give you grief in use because the surfaces
    are smooth and the paper will want to stick to it when immersed in
    the developer and fixer. The big advantage of the Nova is its use
    of textured walls to prevent this from happening. By all means give
    it a try if you have the time and skills and inclination, but you may
    find that a homemade unit with smooth walls causes you enough
    trouble to drive you back to trays, or to Nova.

RFXB
    That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. You can buy frosted acrylic sheets so maybe this is the way to go... But then the cost of building the thing approaches the price of a used unit.:o
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 20 years ago I looked into building my own slot processor, at the time I was manufacturing machines for precious metal recovery so had all the relevant equipment & skills. However the time to design and then build a one off was disproportionally high.

When I decided to start colour printing again about 8 years ago the market was flooded with second-hand Nova processors, so I bought a 12"x16" for about $100/£50. It would be hard to build anything similar with such good temperature control for the prices they are selling for now.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    One thing I have found is that it is a lot cheaper to buy acrylic clip frames than it is to have the acrylic sheets cut to size. If you can find clip frames of the right size for you that is.
    Interesting idea, maybe I'll have a go at building a smaller one first before trying to take on 20x16 monster project.

I should be able to find smaller frames more easily.
    thoop.co.uk - photography by Anthony Jones

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    The homemade unit will give you grief in use because the surfaces
    are smooth and the paper will want to stick to it when immersed in
    the developer and fixer.
    RFXB
    Interesting point, I'd not thought of that; thanks for the tip.
    It may well be the time restriction which prevents me from building one, but I'm yet to make a decision either way...

Maybe I'll have a look on ebay first

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thoop View Post
    Interesting idea, maybe I'll have a go at building a smaller one first before trying to take on 20x16 monster project.

I should be able to find smaller frames more easily.
    On ebay you can get quite big frames. I recently saw 5 12x16s for £15 including postage. The same supplier had bigger sizes, but this was the size I was going for.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    When I decided to start colour printing again about 8 years ago the market was flooded with second-hand Nova processors, so I bought a 12"x16" for about $100/£50. It would be hard to build anything similar with such good temperature control for the prices they are selling for now.
    I know what you mean but there appears to be a shortage of items available at the moment, at least, I can't find much second hand kit.

Any recommendations for places to try (other than the obvious ebay)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Keep watching ebay. I have picked up a 2-slot 8x10, 4-slot 8x10, and 3 "tube" 16x20 in different transactions over the last 6 months. Total cost including UK shipping about £120.

Several more have been offered in that time, but I hung on for the cheapest prices.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ABS really isn't that expensive. It's easiest to cut with a table saw set-up for large sheets, but a circular saw or router, clamps and a straight edge should work ok as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin