Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 805

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Building my own slot processor - am I mad?

Hello all,

I'm new to the APUG but have been shooting/developing/printing B&W for a few years now.

In my previous darkroom I used trays too process my prints but now I've moved house and building my new darkroom (in the loft) I was interested in finding out more about vertical slot processors.

Trouble is they are so expensive. I have to admit that I've not searched for secondhand items yet but I have started to think about how hard it would be to make my own slot processor for basic B&W printing?

As the title says, am I mad to be thinking this or has anyone else managed it and to what degree of success?

Thanks for any opinions,
    Anthony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polycarbonate sheets can be bought from the places that sells window glass, screwed together with a sealant in between. Maybe a siphon to empty it. Just ideas.
    /matti

Shooter
    35mm
    "Building my own slot processor - am I mad? "

Yes.

Welcome to the asylum.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Polycarbonate sheets can be bought from the places that sells window glass, screwed together with a sealant in between. Maybe a siphon to empty it. Just ideas.
    /matti
    I was originally thinking of using glass but poly sheets are a much better idea, thanks.
    thoop.co.uk - photography by Anthony Jones

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    "Building my own slot processor - am I mad? "
    Yes.
    Welcome to the asylum.
    Hmmm... I thought as much
    thoop.co.uk - photography by Anthony Jones

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, depending on definition you might be mad… But, well, in that case so am I. If your initial impression is “how hard can it be?” - I definitely think that you should try to build your own vertical slot print processor.

Welcome to APUG

Claes

Shooter
    35mm
    Anthony In recent weeks a 4 slot Nova with thermostatic control went for just over £50 on e-bay and it looked OK from the picture. OK most will go for more and certainly Nova itself or Secondhand Darkroom Supplies will charge more as is to be expected. Given the difficulties of producing one yourself, especially a heated version and the longevity of the professional models, I know which I'd opt for - even if it meant persisting with trays while I saved the money needed for purchase.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using 1/4" thick black ABS. It'll be capable of 20x24" prints. The sheets are ripped. When it get's a little warmer, I'll crosscut them and glue them up.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I built one out of 1/4" acrylic bonded with an acrylic solvent and reinforced with epoxy.
    Before i put the sides together, i used my table saw to cut half the 1/4" width into the side.
    I think its called a daito or a rabid....I have to brush up on my This Old House for the correct terminology.

Anyway, the processor worked great until i loaned it to a friend and never saw it again.
    I purchased a 4x8' sheet of acrylic online, it was about $100. IIRC, I was able to get 3 11x14 slots out of it with plenty left over.
    Its a fun project to take on. My only recommendation is a very sharp table saw blade. If its not, you will chip the acrylic.
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    35mm
    No! If you build any processor, the slot processor is probably easiest to build and judging by the price of these things it does make sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin