Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,834   Online: 794

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New lamps

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

plug for Optiled bulbs as safelights

I would wager that I have one of the brightest and "safest" darkrooms around. I have two lights: an amber one and a red one. For the papers that can't stand amber, I just use the red. I do some lith printing (think 10 minutes under the safelight and I have not had a problem with just the red safelight.

There are also cheaper LED bulbs out there if you shop around, but I can say that these particular ones work and work well. I can't imagine a better and easy improvement to a darkroom than LED safelights!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I would wager that I have one of the brightest and "safest" darkrooms around. I have two lights: an amber one and a red one. For the papers that can't stand amber, I just use the red.
    Mark, can you tell us which papers/processes are sensitive to amber but not red LED light?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Hart View Post
    Mark, can you tell us which papers/processes are sensitive to amber but not red LED light?

Thanks.
    Alot of the eastern European papers (Fotomeika, Slavich) seem to recommend red safelights. These happen to also be ones that are lith-friendly. I know for a fact that Forte Polywarmtone definitely needs it. The Freestyle catalog has safelight notes on all their papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bergger Prestige CB/variable didn't like my sodium safelight. One of the reasons why I now only use red 'safelights'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm assuming (wrongly?) that many of us are using enlargers with colour or VC heads and that they run their bulbs/lamps at 12V through a transformer. Now it just so happens that the millions of cars in the world use 12V bulbs as well, so they won't be disappearing anytime soon as far as I can see. When we get round to safelights though, maybe we'll have to think about running them through the enlarger's transformer with a 12V bulb also.

And slightly off-topic, the link below is to a hi-fi site where the argument is made that the CFLs actually use more power than normal bulbs, but it's way too technical for me.

http://russandrews.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    I'm assuming (wrongly?) that many of us are using enlargers with colour or VC heads and that they run their bulbs/lamps at 12V through a transformer. Now it just so happens that the millions of cars in the world use 12V bulbs as well, so they won't be disappearing anytime soon as far as I can see.
    The worst-case scenario I can imagine is the need to modify an enlarger in some way to take bulbs it wasn't designed to use -- say, pulling out the bulb fixture and replacing it with something else, perhaps in combination with an extra transformer or control panel. Chances are there'll be simpler solutions for most enlargers, though.

When we get round to safelights though, maybe we'll have to think about running them through the enlarger's transformer with a 12V bulb also.
    No need. There are already red and amber LED bulbs that screw into conventional tungsten sockets. Perhaps if your safelight uses some bizarre socket you'd need to do something weird, but the safelights I've seen (in the US) use conventional Edison sockets, the same as most household lights. Any bulb intended for conventional light fixtures will therefore fit, and of course the bulbs are being and will be designed to fit these fixtures. Maybe in 100 years homes will be designed with different fixtures in mind, but until then getting a working LED safelight will be easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    I'm assuming (wrongly?) that many of us are using enlargers with colour or VC heads and that they run their bulbs/lamps at 12V through a transformer. Now it just so happens that the millions of cars in the world use 12V bulbs as well, so they won't be disappearing anytime soon as far as I can see. When we get round to safelights though, maybe we'll have to think about running them through the enlarger's transformer with a 12V bulb also.
    If it were that simple, mine uses two 120v. 300w. tungsten halogen. However it seems for the time being at least the TH lamps are ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    If it were that simple, mine uses two 120v. 300w. tungsten halogen. However it seems for the time being at least the TH lamps are ok.
    My Ilford 500H VC head uses two 120v 300w TH bulbs, but those are fairly "standard" ELH bulbs (on base GY5.3). There are still a few manufacturers around that make those and they are fairly cheap, ranging from $10 from bulbdirect.com to GBP 12 from nice people at Odyssey. Stock up?

I wonder if anyone has found any red LEDs to be unsafe for VC papers.

Thanks,
    Rafal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin