Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,688   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might consider a changing room bag or a changing tent which you give you more room in side to play with.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Richard,
    I've had the same problem as you and have learnt how to avoid it without becoming a naturist.

1. Load your films at night or early in the morning when it's cool. If you've just got out of bed you're unlikely to be perspiring much and should be relaxed.
    2. Make sure your bag has as much air in it as possible before putting your arms into the tubes.
    3. Touch the film as little as possible.
    4. Get naked if you feel like it but stay indoors.

Some films are worse than others, I really only have serious problems with one film, all others from the same manufacturer are more or less okay. Good luck.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had that problem when I started developing again a few months ago. The solution was to remember a tip I had learned long ago but forget- always cut two small diagnol notches at the beginning of the roll (one at each side of the leader). Otherwise things tend to get jammed on the reel fairly easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Throw the bag away. I stopped using mine years ago. Find a place to make dark and use that space and peace will descend. As for using bags to load/unload sheet film, what a disaster!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tony, Sirius, and David are quite right. Dump the bag. Get a small Harrison pup tent. The new ones are a little pricey, as they are tremendously over-engineered and far superior to other film changing tents. They spring up on fee-bay frequently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never bothered with any of those changing bags because of the issues I have heard. I just use a bathroom with no windows. The only limitation I had was that I had to wait until after dark and all lights in the hall and neighboring rooms were out. Simple solution was $10 worth of very black opaque fabric (velvety like) and hot glue gunned this onto a piece of PVC pipe. Two finishing nails above the top of the door jambs allows me to hang the pipe and draped cloth across the light leaking door cracks and block out light quite effectively now. I just roll it up on the pipe when done. Piece of cake.

Shooter
    Medium Format

changing bag

Changing bag

I can sympathize with the humidity problem. I have had to face the same thing on occasion What I found was the bag itself was getting in the way and creating some of the problem. I scrounged around and found a box that wold fit,open one side and set it up in the bag so as to form a mini tent.( this is not new by the way) That gave a little more air to my hands and reels and less moisture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same happened to me. After numerous 35mm films I got nervous with the first 120 and after a few failed tries that bag got more and more warm and humid. When this happens, forget it. Let things (and yourself) cool down. If you are careful and the bag is of good quality you can remove your arms one by one without harming the film. Once I even put the film into the dev tank just to be sure.

And as the others have said before: If possible, don't use the bag but instead do it naked in a darkroom. It's way easier.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steel reels. Any moisture when loading plastic is a disaster.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Make your changing bag into a tent by inserting a large piece of plastic sheeting (slightly wider than your bag) into your bag. It will bow upward, creating a nice space to work in.

Vaughn

I was using a changing bag in the lobby of the hotel at the Grand Canyon and one of the bell-boys was sent over to see what I was doing. I was tempted to tell him that I was a drug addict and just wanted a little privacy while I shot up -- but I was having a heck of a time finding a vein.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin