Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 678

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Yes, but I have the answer.

1) Calm down, relax, lower your blood pressure.

2) Be at one with your peaceful inner analogue spirit.

3) Get naked.

4) Go outside and find a shady spot in your front yard.

5) Close your eyes and listen to the plants growing.

6) When calm, insert arms in changing bag.

7) Be at one with the film as it follows your concentric path to inner peace.

8) When done, run triumphantly (while still naked) around neighbourhood yelling, "It didn't get stuck this time! It wasn't even a little bit sticky!"

Murray
    I want the Murry Minchin show back on TV, and I want it now!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All good advice. Thanks everyone. I'm definitely curious about these steel reels now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but I have the answer.

1) Calm down, relax, lower your blood pressure.

2) Be at one with your peaceful inner analogue spirit.

3) Get naked.

4) Go outside and find a shady spot in your front yard.

5) Close your eyes and listen to the plants growing.

6) When calm, insert arms in changing bag.

7) Be at one with the film as it follows your concentric path to inner peace.

8) When done, run triumphantly (while still naked) around neighbourhood yelling, "It didn't get stuck this time! It wasn't even a little bit sticky!"

Could you post a picture?

I mastered the bag years ago and it can be frustrating to say the least, now I use the Changing Room tent and it's a joy and worth every cent.

...and you can wear clothes...

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Alden, my show got bumped by Three's Company and they haven't asked me back since. No can do for pictures either Curt. The snow's four feet deep so there wouldn't be much to see anyways...

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 01-10-2008 at 12:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is one of the reasons I went with stainless too.. I had just seen the best negs ever, with half moon creases, missing emulsion that had been scraped off only to be redeposited elsewhere on the emulsion. I smashed the reel to bits.

I don't use a changing bag, I use a dark closet or darkened room. Much easier.
    Get the Hewes reels. Find a nice used Kindermann tank.. You will more than likely be happier.
    I had 15 generic 120 reels, sold them all to buy two Hewes reels and I never looked back.
    Last edited by Phillip P. Dimor; 01-10-2008 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem I see with most changing bags built-up static, sweating palms, crispy in the cold winter is to do with the material. Market available product most are made of Nylon. And this what causes problem.
    A few years ago I found this nice old changing bag that made of traditional Cotton with anti-static treatment. I found it worked a treat. I recommend and help a few members in my photography club acquired some. Words by moth and the demand was good. I started selling them on the ebay.
    You can see other user's comment by google Roger_Luo changing bag or visit my eBay. I've also listed it in the classified (http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...p?product=5487).

I recently designed and put to market a tripod tent, it is bigger than Harrison pup at a fraction of the price

You guys that hated changing bag should buy one from me and give a decent unbiased comment.
    my flickr Gallery
    I sell anti-static, breathable cotton changing bag on ebay

Shooter
    35mm
    It is the moisture that causes all the problems. Calming down and cooler weather helps. Loading one roll at a time helps. If it is hot and you have to use a changing bag you must deal with the moisture.

I've used silica gel which absorbs humidity (the usual desiccator bags you find everywhere). It makes a huge difference in the summer. Film won't get sticky because of the humidity when the air is dry. However, you might still have sweaty hands and you should avoid toughing the film as much as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use plastic reels.
    For 35mm, I pre-load the leader into the reel so it catches on the ball bearings before going in to the bag. That way all I have to do is wind then put in tank.
    You may need a film retreiver to get the end of the film from the 35mm cassette first

For 120, I cut a piece of card the same width as the 120 film from the film box and feed this into the reel first, don't feed it all the past the ball bearings. Now in the dark I slide the end of my 120 film along this card until it feeds in enough to start winding.

hth

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get a steel reel and take the time to learn loading it you'll be happier. They are more dependable than plastic. At first they can be a pain to use but when you get used to them, they are a breeze.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One little tidbit that seems to help me is that right before I go into the bag I wash my hands thoroughly with *cold* water, then dry them completely. Wait a couple minutes to get that extra bit of moisture to dry out and then go for it. It seems to buy a few minutes in the bag before things get sticky and of course clean hands on negatives is always good! I'm an advocate of stainless reels, fwiw. Good luck!
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin