Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,699   Online: 839

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    Yes, that is the answer ... sorry it took so long to sink in ... i am thick headed.
    Not true (the thick headed part).

What you haven't yet acquired is a sense of what the relative importance is for each of the various factors. For example, you are concerned about small variations in temperature, which in B & W are easily adjusted for, whereas you may not have thought enough about (again strictly for example) the importance of ..... (fill in the blank here, although one of my favorite examples is dust and the role it plays in maintaining sanity).

All of that will come soon - have fun, and keep asking questions.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bessa_L_R3a,

This the way I started in September, I was only going to develop Black and White film and scan the negatives because it cost so much more to process than the C-41. I was motivated by Dwanye's screwing up some processing too. Processing film is like taking drugs, do a little and soon you are doing a little more. Next thing you know you are telling everyone how easy it is to process film. Then I slipped over the edge and down the slippery slope ... and on an impulse I brought and enlarger ... like I really needed an enlarger. It was not like I had a darkroom or anything like that. Over the next two months I made my den a part time dry darkroom and the master bathroom a part time wet darkroom.

You can stop now if you try!

As someone else on this site said [I can't remember whom*] "Photography is not for the faint of wallet."

Steve

* Will someone please tell me whom to credit for this quote?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF

very first shot ....

it's not much .... but it's a photo!

http://robertdavid.fastmail.fm/negatives/first_shot.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ooh, lovely grain
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    one of my favorite examples is dust and the role it plays in maintaining sanity).

Matt
    are you saying dust factor can be just as important or more important than keeping temperature right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    are you saying dust factor can be just as important or more important than keeping temperature right?
    I think he's saying nothing will make your blood boil faster than going to check on some drying negatives only to find dust or those cursed cat hairs stuck to your roll ...LOL Ilove my cats but they have come close to strangulation a couple times
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    As someone else on this site said [I can't remember whom*] "Photography is not for the faint of wallet."

Steve

* Will someone please tell me whom to credit for this quote?
    Steve: That quote used to be my sig line. It's not that I've changed my mind, I just took it off after a while. But, since you brought it up - I've put it back.

As for "credit", the quote actually comes from my wife ...

Shooter
    35mm
    it's not much .... but it's a photo!

http://robertdavid.fastmail.fm/negatives/first_shot.jpg
    That looks good to me. You've got a good range of tones and no obvious surge marks or other signs of processing irregularities. I do notice a white spot above and to the left of the mirror -- that's probably a dust speck. If it's not firmly affixed to the negative, you should be able to brush it away with a negative brush -- but as others have alluded to, it's very difficult to get a negative 100% dust-free for printing or scanning. There are "spotting" kits to help cover up this sort of problem once a print is made, or you can do it digitally if you scan.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I do notice a white spot above and to the left of the mirror -- that's probably a dust speck.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. If that is a dust speck then I understand Matt King´s point about worrying too much about temperature.

I thought it was an exposure blowout. How could that be dust? I will inspect the neg ... I do have a lot of dust in the apt. but before I scan, I always wipe the neg down with Rexton negative cleaner and PEC wipe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...but before I scan, I always wipe the neg down with Rexton negative cleaner and PEC wipe.
    Doesn't matter how much time I spend wiping mine down before scanning, I ALWAYS end up getting a dust spec or two at least Thank god for Lightroom spot correction.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin