Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,263   Posts: 1,680,695   Online: 993

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Jason,

You can wash your film by repeatedly filling, agitating, and emtying the tank. Ilford has a detail of this washing method on their website. Be on the lookout for film washers second hand. They are a very common item and can be had for a few bucks on craigslist, etc. I have never seen another example of the "Miller Hurricane" brand washer, and have not been able to find any information online, except a patent. The spinning action is a bit of a novelty. IDK for sure if it does a little faster/better job washing, but feel it's a safe bet that it does. I still give my negs a good five minutes in it at the least.

The developing method you were refering to earlier is called developing by inspection. It is accomplished with infrared lighting and a nightvision device, or a very dim green light that is used intermittently in a very sparing fashion while developing sheet film in a tray. It is a very advanced method of developing sheet film, and it requires allot of experience to be able to accurately judge the density of a negative under the conditions required. Since you have to be able to see the neg to judge density, it would be even more difficult and impractical with roll film on a spool.

Even with sheet film, if your exposures, agitation regimen, times, and temps are consistent, it's totally un-needed. It's neat to watch, however.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 03-08-2008 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool, thanks for the info Jason! It does seem like a neat process.

I was interested in the film washer you showed in your video due to the spinning. I've seen another one in action and it did not have that "hurricane" characteristic. I thought it was broken!

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry not sure if this was mentioned, but if using water as a stop bath, how long do I need to stop for?

I'll be giving this a go tonight! Hopefully something turns out

Jason

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I usually do stop bath with water for about 30 seconds with constant agitation. seems to work fine. i'm sure there are other opinions .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahh CRAP! I have a bottle of HC-110 developer REPLENISHer and not the DEVELOPER! DARN the person that assisted me at the camera store!

Guess I'm going to have to hold off on this a little bit longer. AND to think I drove around to 3 different CVS/Walgreen's/Rite Aids just to find a darn oral syringe!

This sucks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, it turns out there is still a camera store about 10 miles away from home that sells D-76. They only have it in powder, but man, I really want to get started on this so I'm off to buy a batch!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Bessa. When I stopped by the camera store today, the owner said I should stop for a few minutes to play it safe.

Well, I developed my first roll of 120 film today! Man, putting the film on the reel has got to be the most challenging part! The negative shows a bunch of crease marks where I kept bending the film while trying to get it in the clip. I ended up touching the negative a lot while reeling it, but it was my first attempt and I had gloves on. Hopefully it didn't scratch the negs!

Other than putting the film on the reel, and being extremely nervous, I think things went OK. I was so nervous I forget to pre-wash the film and ALMOST poured the fixer down the drain.

Also, my Arista 16 oz. stainless steel tank seems to leak from the rubber top. Not where you pour in the chemicals, but the whole lid seems to leak. I notice it leaks when I hit the tank to get rid of the bubbles. Maybe I'm hitting a little too hard?

Thanks,

jason

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to know the process of developing color film, I would like to do some 120 film. Doeas anybody know where in here I can find some good instruction. I am currently developing B&W.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi David,

Welcome to APUG. I would try posting a new thread asking how to get started with color on the
    color film/ paper/ chemistry/forum

You can find it under the forums tab.

Again welcome to APUG. Glad to see you here.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin