Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,237   Online: 712

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recommended darkroom torch

Hi

I want to try lith printing and understand that a darkroom torch is very useful. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Cheers

Ritchie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    fotoimpex.de was giving away some red LED keychain lights that are handy in the darkroom a while back as a promotional item. Maybe they sell them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thomsonrc View Post
    Hi

I want to try lith printing and understand that a darkroom torch is very useful. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Cheers

Ritchie
    I recommend and use the RH Design safe torch Ritchie
    Look here ...
    http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/safetorch.html

I use them on all my Lith workshops and everyone wants one!
    Even if you don't do lith they are a must have item IMHO
    Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll second that - I was tearing my hair out with lith, and the RH torch is a lifesaver!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it would be worth trying a backlight from a bicycle?
    /matti

Shooter
    35mm
    In the US, Super Bright LEDs sells several LED flashlights ("torches" to you Brits ). I've got one of the tiny keychain "Beamer Micro Light" models from that page (in red, of course). I've never done lith printing, but I find it handy for checking the aperture of my enlarger lens, finding dropped pieces of paper, etc. I'm afraid I don't have a reference for a European distributor of similar flashlights, but there must be some place that sells them in Europe. If you're desperate, you could see if Super Bright LEDs ships internationally. Buying a small item like a small flashlight or bulb would probably not incur utterly ridiculous shipping charges, although for a small order the shipping cost would probably be more than the price of the products, even for domestic shipping.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love my RH Designs Safe Torch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i just use a normal (military) torch with a red filter, i think the smaller maglites have those filters too. i don't know if this the exact color the paper requires, but i make sure to cover any photographic paper in the open with a piece of card.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use a small maglite with red filter in the darkroom. In the US, one can buy a kit which contains the light and filter. I like the maglite because I can hold it in my mouth and use both hands if needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've always used a normal torch and just held a spare safelight filter over the end of it for lith printing, it's a little awkward but I've found it works well enough for my needs.
    Rhys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin