Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,312   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    That's silly, someone's stringing you on, I've only ever heard of brewer's droop and that's from drinking too much alcohol unless your darkroom going friend is drinking all his chemicals and his beer, you're not likely to have any problems.
    Interesting. He's not the kind to be stringing people on, but maybe he's misguided.

How do I know if the ventilation is adequate though? Is there a way to measure/make sure?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hehe.

Well.. the first post has got to be stupid, doesn't it?

Shooter
    35mm
    You need to check with your landlord, or check your rental agreement, to make sure your allowed (or not forbidden) to do this in your apt. You dont want to violate your rental agreement. Better to check in advance than to have something bad happen later.

I hope this helps you.

Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    You need to check with your landlord, or check your rental agreement, to make sure your allowed (or not forbidden) to do this in your apt. You dont want to violate your rental agreement. Better to check in advance than to have something bad happen later.

I hope this helps you.

Paul
    I'd check with building regs too. I'm quite surprised it's legal to have no ventilation in a bathroom and no windows (my parents' new house has no fan vent for the bathrooms because building regs say the builders don't have to put one in because there's windows instead... like someone is going to open a window for ventilation in January in New Hampshire?!)
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to use citric acid for stop and a non smelly fixer and just open the door once in a while. I get by pretty well but then my house is not that well insulated...
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the cost of a door is rather small if you get it from Home Depot or the like. Take off the one that's there and store it. You can do anything you want to do to your own door so you can install a large vent, fan or whatever works. Re-hang the landlord's door when you move away.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I remember seeing the results of a long term study - something like 30 years - on the effects of exposure to chemicals on photo lab workers. Turned out that lab workers had a longer life expectancy than the average. Don't think that means that dev, stop and fix extends your life(!) but it would suggest that they're not harmful. Dipping your parts into selenium toner is not recommended - whether you have ventilation or not!

Developer droop arises from a full night trying to perfect a print from that difficult negative. That is not related to ventilation either!! I've been processing for 30 odd years with limited ventilation; don't use tongs or gloves, (except for selenium toning) - and I'm still vertical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    No fan, but love the terminology.

I can almost slide a finger below the door. So maybe half an inch gap is in there.

There's some draw in the ventilation, but not much. I tested with a piece of toilet paper for sucking.
    I suggest having a discussion with the landlord.

Where I live, bathroom ventilation is REQUIRED by building codes. If the bathroom in your apartment has neither windows or ventilation, you may have a legitimate complaint and you may have a basis for asking him to take some action that would solve the problem you anticipate when you use the bathroom as a darkroom.

But I also suggest that you NOT disclose that your motivation is to use the bathroom as a darkroom. Limit the discussion to bathroom ventilation.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Developer droop arises from a full night trying to perfect a print from that difficult negative. That is not related to ventilation either!! I've been processing for 30 odd years with limited ventilation; don't use tongs or gloves, (except for selenium toning) - and I'm still vertical.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin