Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,229   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Nothing bad is going to happen to Willy.

A respirator mask hooked by a hose to the outside is just going to asphyxiate you as you breath the same air in the tube over and over.

Consider using water for a stop bath.

There are "odorless" fixers.

A small space is a double edged sword. It doesn't take much to foul the air, but it doesn't take much to ventilate it, either.

An 80cfm bathroom fan (standard) will probably suffice, either installed by your landlord in the bathroom proper (for far+ purposes) or in "your own door" as suggested, if your LL says sorry, mine don't, why do yours?

Perhaps there is another room that could suffice near the bathroom? Dry side outside, wet in the B-room door open?

Shooter
    35mm
    I need to clarify that there is an opening for ventilation, but no fan in there. There is some air movement, but I'd like more.

So if I go complain, they'd say it's sufficient airflow and nothing should be done.

I guess I'm just too paranoid and been spoiled by laboratory fumehoods where I spend my day.

I'll explore the door replacement option.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another alternative is to get trays that have lids that are easily removable, like food service trays (they have lids for them). I used to put the lids on when I wasn't using the tray and take them off when I was. It's a little less convenient than having open trays, but you don't necessarily use the trays 100 percent of the time any way.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    I need to clarify that there is an opening for ventilation, but no fan in there. There is some air movement, but I'd like more.

So if I go complain, they'd say it's sufficient airflow and nothing should be done.

I guess I'm just too paranoid and been spoiled by laboratory fumehoods where I spend my day.

I'll explore the door replacement option.
    Why not rig a fan in the ventalation opening, even temporarily?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    A respirator mask hooked by a hose to the outside is just going to asphyxiate you as you breath the same air in the tube over and over.
    I thought there'd be 2 valves preventing that.

Consider using water for a stop bath.

An 80cfm bathroom fan (standard) will probably suffice, either installed by your landlord in the bathroom proper (for far+ purposes) or in "your own door" as suggested, if your LL says sorry, mine don't, why do yours?
    I have a feeling the door fan is the only option. How do I make it lightproof?

Perhaps there is another room that could suffice near the bathroom? Dry side outside, wet in the B-room door open?
    I'd want the bathroom. It's big enough for a dry and wet side.

I don't want to be printing at night. I have enough problems staying up past 3 during exam sessions and if I bring up that I need TWO rooms completely dark, my family will say that I can rent my own flat and all of it dark and lightproof.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Why not rig a fan in the ventalation opening, even temporarily?
    I think that's the solution.

Shooter
    35mm
    How many CFM would I need?

It's about 2*3*2 meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    I had simillar situation in my bathroom/darkroom. I just installed 10 cm diameter ventilator (fan), it needs 4 screws and electric power, and it took 10 minutes to install it. Before that I worked for some time with just opening for ventilation, and my bathroom is smaller. I had no problems.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My bedroom does double duty as a darkroom and the ventilation is minimal so I take frequent breaks airing the room out. A month ago I bought an air purifier de-ionizer HEPA filter fan thingy to cut down on the dust in my prints, and it turns out it helps with the chemical fumes too! My room is fairly small and they had one on sale for $59.99 that was normally $74.99 or something. I leave it on all the time now and just crank up the power when I'm doing my darkroom work. Something to check out, for you.

- Justin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Putting a fan in the existing ventilation opening is probably the best solution. You could make it temporary by using plug-in power connections.

Don’t forget to allow for make-up air to replace that which you are exhausting. The half-inch gap under the door will work, but it will not be lightproof. A solution would be another door as JOVO suggested, with a light-proof grill that you can purchase from most photo stores. An even better solution would be to install a light-proof fan in the new door, pulling in air and helping the exhaust fan work.

You room size works out to about 427 cubic feet. I would allow at least 6 air changes per hour, which works out to about 50 CFM. But these fans are not very efficient, and they will not be in the ideal locations (over the chemicals), so I would use 100 CFM fans.
    —Eric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin