Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,015   Online: 1209

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    427 s.f? That's almost as big as my mother-in-law's last house.

One argument to convince a landlord is a ventilation fan will reduce chance of mildew and the paint will last longer. Offering to install/pay for it may inspire them to say yes....Of course, where it exhausts to is another question.

I'd be surprised to see a rental agreement that prohibited a darkroom, uless they had a previous 'stink' with a former tenant.

Prohibitions on goats & chickens are probably more likely.

The 50 cfm fans seem to go on sale more often. I haven't seen 100's at the big box stores, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    My bedroom does double duty as a darkroom and the ventilation is minimal so I take frequent breaks airing the room out. A month ago I bought an air purifier de-ionizer HEPA filter fan thingy to cut down on the dust in my prints, and it turns out it helps with the chemical fumes too! My room is fairly small and they had one on sale for $59.99 that was normally $74.99 or something. I leave it on all the time now and just crank up the power when I'm doing my darkroom work. Something to check out, for you.

- Justin
    What's the model? I'm asking because I'm in ontario and we might have the same chainstore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    What's the model? I'm asking because I'm in ontario and we might have the same chainstore.
    It's a Bionaire 99.97% True HEPA Air Cleaner. My room is pretty small, so I bought the small model for 81 square feet. I bought it at London Drugs, which you don't have in Ontario, but I'm sure most pharmacies will have them, likely hardware stores too. I still vent the room through the door fairly often, just in case, but it has been a great help in keeping dust down (almost unbelieveably so when you consider that it is in an ideal dust-making environment) and had the added benefit of cutting down on chemical odours and fumes.

If you've got a vent but no fan your landlord should spring for a fan and installation. You don't mention how old your apartment is, but I'd be willing to bet there is a mold issue from the situation you're describing. Bathroom fans are not expensive and it is likely that since there already is a vent the orignal fan was probably removed somewhere along the way. My guess anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One question is: where does the vent lead to? If it goes straight outside, fine; if it goes via other apartments then possibly not so fine as odours will be pushed into the other apartments... Also of course, there may already be a fan at the other end of the vent pulling air out of the bathroom as you already have some (small) air movement, though that may just be from convection.

Use of low-odour fixer (Tetenal and Fotospeed and others make them) and zero-odour citric acid based stop bath (Fotospeed, Ilford etc) will go a long way to keeping the worst of the fumes down. Luckily most developers seem to have relatively little pong... As long as you keep opening the door for ventilation, this may be enough as I can use my 10'x11' darkroom without the fans running with that combination.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just because something smells bad, doesn't mean it will actually harm you. Limburger cheese smells bad.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    ... Limburger cheese smells bad.

...and it DOESN'T hurt?
    Murray

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin