Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,440   Online: 958

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Non standard ventilation in a rental apartment?

I won't have a room for a dedicated darkroom anytime soon, so I have to use one of the two bathrooms in the rental apartment.

After one photographer explained to me what a "developer's droop" is, I don't want to be developing paper and the droop at the same time.

I can't make holes in the walls for a vent, it's a rental appartment.

There is little air movement. The ventilation system of the building is enough not to suffocate while you're showering, but not enough for paper processing.

I'd be happy to hear your ideas to this problem.

I can think of two so far:
    1) Self Contained Breathing Apparatus
    2) a respirator mask hooked up to the outside. I'll get clean air at minimal cost.
    3) sulfur dioxide respirator? Is there anything besides sulfur dioxide that's harmful?

I want a darkroom, but not the fumes.

Thanks

On the upside I won't have to worry about butane heaters in the winter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If there is a window, cut a piece of plywood to fit the opening and install a bathroom fan in the ply wood. It may be necessary to build a light baffle to fit over it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    No windows

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a ventilation fan in the bathroom (pardon the expression from a construction worker, but a far+ fan)? Usually there is one, so having it on may help move some air out. Only drawback would be having to work at night with the door partly open. Is the bottom of the door cut enough to allow some air into the room? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is a "developer's droop"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a 2nd bathroom in my place and what do is turn on the just the fan on the HVAC unit to pump in some fresh air and then turn on the exhaust fan to pull some air to try to give some air changes. This system seams to work well, no third eyes or gills yet

I do turn off the exhaust fan while trying to make "fine" prints--the thing seams to vibrate a lot. But I turn it back on after the enlarger is done exposing the pic.

Shooter
    35mm
    No fan, but love the terminology.

I can almost slide a finger below the door. So maybe half an inch gap is in there.

There's some draw in the ventilation, but not much. I tested with a piece of toilet paper for sucking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    What is a "developer's droop"?
    It's when a member of the body goes limp and stays that way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just have a bathroom fan in my bathroom darkroom plus my darkroom has a dry half so it's a fairly large space. I can print all day in there but I do come out to see normal light occasionally.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    It's when a member of the body goes limp and stays that way.
    That's silly, someone's stringing you on, I've only ever heard of brewer's droop and that's from drinking too much alcohol unless your darkroom going friend is drinking all his chemicals and his beer, you're not likely to have any problems.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin