Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,618   Online: 1042

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Question about Zone VI print washer

Ok, so I got a free 11x14(ish) print washer for free and there are a few pieces that I cannot for the life of me figure out what they are for. There is a little 3 chambered thing with three drains that hangs from the side of the washer, no idea what that's about. Also, I keep reading people griping that there are no drains in the bottom theirs, and they have to tip the water out to drain it. Mine has TWO drains in the bottom that are just opened, no flow control or anything. So I'm a little stuck as to how I can control the flow of water in and out. Does anyone have one of these things, or possibly point me to an owners manual. I feel kinda dumb not being able to figure out a seemingly basic device, but I could be missing parts or something..

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson 11x14 rocker washer here

Mine has a hollow rectangualr slot that goes down the outside of the unit that connects to the (open) drain on the side at the bottom. The slot is not disconnectable from the openning at the bottom It has an outlet that lets the water either spill out, or one can connect a drain hose to the fitting. The elevation of the outlet is set so that the water level in the tank keeps the backet with the prints just covered.

There is a plug that can be inserted into the otherwise open top of the slot to allow one to attempt to syphon the unit empty. Inevitably there is a crack at some spot, because air gets in, the syphon is broken, and then you only have to lift half a tank to tip it to fully drain it. Two drains would be nice - one to suck as overflow, and the other a s a pure to empty drain.

Incoming water get into mine directly around a piston that bumps the rocker basket. When the thing is empty it sprays water all over the place. So perhaps the three channel thing with yours is some sort of incoming spray distributor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The chamber sits on the outside of the washer. There are two drains on the very bottom, which makes it impossible to even fill that washer without plugging both the holes on the bottom. I don't see an effecient way to maintain equilibrium between the flow of water in and the flow of water out... I seem to have a different model than others. Literally, there are to large drain spouts on the bottom, so if I took the plugs out, I could drain the whole washer in about ten seconds..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wasn't the Zone VI washer three chambered so that the actual print-holding part drained from the bottom, water flowed out of the top of the second chamber and into the third where it would finally drain. Seem to remember Fred Picker discussing it in this way saying the design was such because Hypo is heavier than water and the laws of gravity had not been repealed. The print chamber should fill, then the second chamber. Water height in the print chamber will be the same as the second, (which drains over its top). Don't think it makes any difference what the level in the third, outside chamber is.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took a look around and finally found a picture of the print washer on ebay. This is not the model I have at all, although it says Zone VI on it, I will have to post a few picture of it today. There is only one "chamber" on the thing, where the plexi separators go.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Rootberry,

the washer on ebay is the one I have. You must have a very early one. You might pm Richard Ritter as he was an employee I think of Zone VI for sometime.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah, that is an excellent idea lee, thank you =)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin