Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    You could go old school and get a metronome. When I was in school at Glen Fishback in the 70s they had one Beth and Thomas metronome (you wouldn't want two) for the darkroom.
    I think you mean a SETH THOMAS (brand) METRONOME. Quite a common brand for Metronomes and for Clocks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ha ha probably... hey I been hanging in darkroom fumes for 30 some years.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A metronome...isn't that a little funny looking guy, but all sort of modern...you know, a well dressed gnome?

Have you been in a darkroom full of 18 to 22 years olds lately? Either they have their iPods sticking in their ears or they have the CD player cranked up...no one will be able to hear a metronome (or a retrognome).

Chan...some of these 23C's are as old as the timers...all condenser heads...nothing but the light bulb in there.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Vaughn,

Interesting discovery. I have an old Time-O-Lite P-59 that, I swear, has a mind of its own. Seems to work fine, if a bit noisy, most of the time but every once in a while, it just kinda goes berserk! I wonder...?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Good timers but the print buttons fail eventually in a teaching darkroom -- pressed too hard sometimes hundreds of times a day!

Vaughn
    The circuit board is not well supported near the print button, and the board begins to flex. Eventually no circuit when you push PRINT. I had to insert a little block of wood behind the board to bolster the support. Works again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    The circuit board is not well supported near the print button, and the board begins to flex. Eventually no circuit when you push PRINT. I had to insert a little block of wood behind the board to bolster the support. Works again.
    Thanks DE...I'll haul out the 8 or so Beseler timers I have awaiting funds for repair and see it that works on some of them! I am all out of back-ups, and no money to send any off until the next budget cycle.

Brad...I notice one enlarger not getting much use, so I checked it out -- the timer buzzed like a banshee. Probably had the students wetting their pants when they made their first test strip! I removed it from the darkroom, but haven't checked that one to see if it tosses out a few more volts than it is suppose to.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    That can also indicate a cracked trace on the circuit board or a cracked solder connection. The block pushing the board back up pushes the cracked bits together so they make contact again. It's a very common failure mode.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Beseler timers ... the print buttons fail ... the contacts of the knobs used to set the times fail.
    That was what drove me into the timer buisness -- opening up a failed Beseler timer to fix it and deciding there was a problem here that needed a much bigger fix.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Electrical engineer speak follows

when a motor shuts off, all of the magnetic field (that causes the motor to spin) that was being created by the electric field collapses. Since the electric field was shut off, it is now able to take back energy that the magnetic field wants to dump. The magnetic field in most motors does not decay gradually, so the electriclk field does not absorb that magnetic energy gradually. It takes it in all one fast whump.

A capacitor placed across a contact that shuts off a motor usually does the job of absorbing that 'whump' and storing the all at once energy, and then bleeding it out over a longer period fo that it is not so disruptive.

I suspect that there is an open circuit 'squelch' capacitor in the offending time o lite. Replacing it, if this is the case is likely a 1 hour and $2 in parts repair.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike. That probably entails soldering and all that fancy stuff, LOL! We'll see if I undertake such a project...electrical/electronic wimp that I am! I'd probably have to open the timer up and take in down to the next town's electrical/electronic supply store and ask them to point out the "open circuit 'squelch' capacitor" and see if they have one in stock. (and probably ask how much they would charge to replace it).

If only my electrical engineer brother-in-law didn't live 800 miles away!

Vaughn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin