Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 849

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey everyone!

I have printed out this thread in its entirety, and will be referencing it as I:

a) look for the missing piece
    b) make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

If I can't make it work based on the very thorough and helpful advice (thank you SO much for all of your replies) I will call Calumet this afternoon.

I'll update this thread with the solution to this problem for posterity's sake.

With sincere thanks,

Jeannette

Shooter
    Multi Format

Works, but not quite...

I located the VC controller next to a folder that says (ta da!) "ZONE VI 5x7 ENLARGER MANUAL" and connected it to the head. Then, wowee, light!

So, the VC controller does need to be plugged in for the head to work.

However, the green/blue lights were very evident (green on the top and bottom, bluish in the middle) and the brightness controller had no effect on the intensity of the light coming out. Also, the green light on the front of the head comes on as soon as the unit does, so I am guessing some little resistor or sensor (or both!) is what is rattling around inside the head.

I called Calumet and they said I should send it in for repair, once they get it they will tell me how much it will cost. I'm a bit wary of this, because of the damage that could (and probably will) happen in shipping it to Chicago, and of how much it could cost. Your thoughts on this matter are welcome.

I guess I could also try using it as is, but I'm guessing that since the light coming through the lens is unevenly colored, my prints will be unevenly exposed. Which might be the exact shot in the arm they need! Ha ha.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and kind offer to scan the manual (George!), but since I located it in the 14th box I looked in I am okay.

Thanks again!

Jeannette

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannette View Post
    ......the brightness controller had no effect on the intensity of the light coming out......
    I'm going from memory here, but I think there is a rocker switch on the controller, for either "focus" or "print". If "focus" is selected, both tubes go to maximum bright. Also, set the brightness control to a middle position, and see how the head acts.

Before you send it in, I would remove the diffuser and look inside to see what is rattling around.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Valuable advice, Eric... thank you, I'll try that this afternoon!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just to clarify what Eric said, when the rocker switch is on Focus, the lights are both on and at full brightness. Once you rock the switch to Print (I think), you will be able to activate the head and "Split Print." Split printing is where you use only blue light for the low values, then switch to only green light for the high values. This should be obvious by the color of the light on your baseboard. Unless you plan to use one of the Zone VI compensating timers with your VC head, I wouldn't worry too much about the sensor rattling around in the head.

Good Luck
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    No Paul,

The head uses a DIN cord to connect to the photocell. The phone cord is to connect the VC controller.
    Yes, the DIN cord, I stand corrected. I don't have a VC controller - now I'm confused!
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric and John -- you saved me a headache (and a costly mistake) with sending the head in for repair. Looking back on all of this, I feel a bit foolish, but really -- compared to the enlargers I've used this is like some sort of space-age device. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing is actually capable of time travel.

I now have the manual and a basic understanding of how it works, and yes! By all appearances it does work exactly as it is supposed to! Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Best,

Jeannette

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jeanette,

Glad to be of assistance. Enjoy your new toy and ask any quesiton, anytime.

Good light,

John
    John Bowen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin