Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,311   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

75 watt or 150 watt bulb for 5x4 enlarger?

I just got a 5x4 Envoy enlarger, quite primitive but all there. Am going to use it for my quarter plate negs. It has a condensor head. What wattage of bulb should i use? Is either oK and I will just get longer or shorter exposure times?

I've been using a Graflex super d 3x4 with a kodak ektar 15mm lens which rocks. Why oh why did this format and indeed this camera fade out?....I've asked that question before here.........so just a bulb answer please!

Thanks

Anton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whats in it now? -) Unless somebody has used an Envoy it could be either.

If the setup can't handle the heat etc of the 150w that could cause problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what was in it?

Dust.

Though have just put in a 75watt, which looks oK.......

Thanks

A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Anton,

If a lower wattage bulb works use it. Your exposure times may be a little longer but you will have less of a problem with heat. If your negative carrier does not have glass (I am not familiar with your enlarger) you can get film movement as the negative heats up.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A lower wattage bulb will give you longer enlargement times. That can be a positive factor, because it will allow you to more precisely control exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the Envoy, but I use a 75w bulb in my Omega DII.

As others have noted, a lower wattage bulb will avoid heat problems and require longer exposures, which will then allow more time for printing controls. And the Ph211 75w bulb is probably easier to find than the brighter Ph212 or Ph 213 bulbs.

Frankly, condenser enlargers inherently tend to be fairly bright, so a 75w bulb is usually quite adequate.
    Louie

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've just replaced the 300W bulb in my 5x7" enlarger with a 27W CFL. Less heat, shorter exposures. I leavie it on the whole time I'm in the darkroom, and use the lens cap for exposure control. After siz hours it's not even warm - I used to have to stop after about two hours to step outside to cool down!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My ancient DeJur runs much cooler with 150 Watt lamps than my Omega B22 did with its little 75 Watt lamps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My safelight bulb blew this afternoon; I took this as a warning shot and ordered a stock of bulbs for the enlarger at the same time as for the safelight. I couldn't find any 150w bulbs though and got 75w ones instead - I assume it's safe to assume double the time is a suitable starting point for finding new exposure times?

(i.e. Does light output from an incandescent bulb follow wattage linearly? Stupid question I'm sure...)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Envoy, but I use a 75w bulb in my Omega DII.

As others have noted, a lower wattage bulb will avoid heat problems and require longer exposures, which will then allow more time for printing controls. And the Ph211 75w bulb is probably easier to find than the brighter Ph212 or Ph 213 bulbs.

Frankly, condenser enlargers inherently tend to be fairly bright, so a 75w bulb is usually quite adequate.
    I agree with Louie. Get the Sylvania Ph211, available at any good camera store. It has the writing on the side, not on the top like a std. 75W bulb. I keep several on hand for my DII and have never wished for a brighter bulb.
    (Except for that time I tried to enlarge Azo, but that's a different story) : - ))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin