Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Leitz Focomat V35 Enlarger

I need to find variable contrast filters for a Leitz Focomat V35 Black & White enlarger. I understand this enlarger is for graded paper but I believe you can get under the lens filters. As these may affect the quality of the print, is there any other way of fitting filters into the enlarger head?

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Peter,
    In the days when the V35 was still for sale new, you could buy either an optional Multigrade or colour module. They must still be available on fleabay. Another option are the Ilford Multigrade under the lens filters. They work ok.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter,

Does yours have the color module? If so, just dial it in -- I can send you a scan of a filter chart for the V35 that shows what filtration to use for the Ilford contrast grades.

Otherwise, you can always buy the acetate filters and just lay them on TOP of the negative or get the Ilford/Kodak under-the-lens filter kits and use them.

Otherwise, I've used the plastic filters under the lens without any problem -- just be sure to focus through the filter and not insert them after focusing for max sharpness.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Hans & Michael. I wish it was the colour version but unfortunately its the B&W version for graded paper. Would the acetate filters placed on top of the negative be a better option than the under the lens filters?
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you remember if there is a swinging safelight filter for under the lens. That could hold a multigrade filter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No swinging filter Fintan. The safelight filter is built into the enlarger head and turned on and off by a little knob/lever.
    Last edited by thefizz; 02-05-2008 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    I need to find variable contrast filters for a Leitz Focomat V35 Black & White enlarger. I understand this enlarger is for graded paper but I believe you can get under the lens filters. As these may affect the quality of the print, is there any other way of fitting filters into the enlarger head?

Peter
    Hello Peter,

I would fit a gel filter on top of the neg carrier before I'd ever use one under the lens but, seriously, if you plan to or do a lot of VC printing on your V35 I'd spring for the multigrade or color head. The use of gels, especially on the neg carrier make it nearly impossible to apply different contrast levels within the same print. I know because I've worked this way for years on my Beseler 45X enlarger with Aristo head.

Good luck.

Regards,
    AlanH
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter,

The gels on TOP of the negs will be great as long as you're not trying to do split grade printing. If the latter, you'll need to be able to switch filters and for that you'll need to have them below the lens or have the colorhead. If you're just doing single grade, though, laying the gels on top of the neg will work great.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin