Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,325   Online: 989

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally I convert my kitchen. If I get time tomorrow I'll set up and post a few pictures.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot JB, likewise for me. I'll try to do a setup in my bathroom and kitchen and send over some pics, but don't wait for me though. I am traveling extensively for the next 6 weeks.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My first two darkrooms were in bathrooms. The first one was in a rented flat. The usual set-up with a board over the bath to hold the trays. For a print washer I used one of those plastic-coated metal shower caddies, which I bent into a shape with side arms to hold the sides of the prints, a bottom edge to hold the bottoms, and a twisted loop at the top, which I put the flexible hose through to wash the prints. My third bathroom had the dark part without running water in an outside shed, for loading film and printing, and the rest inside in a small bathroom - film processing and print washing basically.

Shooter
    35mm
    You guys are gold. I appreciate all of the detailed answers, thought and time that has gone into these replies. Such a wonderful community.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    J
    Ill post some digisnaps tonite. I live in a 500sqft apt and use the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom closet as my "darkroom". Would that be useful?
    I wouldn't want anyone to go to allot of trouble, I'm getting a good idea from the verbal descriptions. I'm realizing that it's pretty much personal adaptation to available space. Some rooms are larger than others, etc..

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I wouldn't want anyone to go to allot of trouble, I'm getting a good idea from the verbal descriptions. I'm realizing that it's pretty much personal adaptation to available space. Some rooms are larger than others, etc..
    well in that case....

"darkroom"
    basically all I do in this space is develop film and load my film holders. My darkroom is a long closet in the bedroom of my apartment. I dont have anywhere near the number of clothes it would take to fill it so I put the few "closet" items in an armoire that my parents gave me. The closet doorway doesnt have a door but I use a couple layers of black out cloth and some velcro attached to the wall and the cloth. With three layers I'm able to completely black out the closet area. I lined the entirety of the carpeted floor with some rolls of plastic flooring to guard against any spills and splashes. Built a large table top that is waist high so I have a large working space for the big grout trays I use for presoak/dev/stop/fix etc. There are some built in shelves that I've lined with plastic and store all my chemicals, boxes of film, etc etc on.
    I use a huge spouted container (likely around 12 gallon capacity) and refill it so that I can fill my dev/stop/presoak.
    It isn't pretty but it is functional.

"Coating printing area"
    This is basically the bath room. I have a bunch of shelves along one of the short walls where I store all my pt/pd, gum, alt process chems/paper/supplies/and such. Theres a table in front of the toilet that I have a thick sheet of glass atop that I coat on while sitting atop the toilet lid. Again, not pretty, but its functional.

"processing area"
    The kitchen and laundry room serve the duel purpose of being a kitchen and a processing area (don't worry I keep things well separated).
    Theres a large 20x24+ print washer tray that I use for most washing etc. Along a half wall I have a set of those stout metal shelving units that I use the different shelves mainly for storing the big tubs of chems I buy and also for the multiple trays I use for clearing baths - one per each level and such.
    Above the 20x24 washing tray I have a set of sturdy wooden shelves that I store the most used chems (pot oxalate, citric acid, gelatin, washing aid, various pyrex cups, and alot of other stuff.
    lining all the walls and between kitchen shelves I have wire with loads and loads of clothespins for hanging paper to dry.
    In the laundry room I have a thin narrow table that is about waist high that run alongside the washer and I've split the washer water feed into two and have one half going to the 20x24 oriental slot washer, along with the draining tubes going into the washing machines drain pipe. It works wonderfully and again, it isnt pretty but it works and is functional (noticing a theme here?)

so thats it in a nutshell J. Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a fairly large bathroom, but it is our only bathroom, so I have to be able to disassemble it. There are no windows, and a towel blocking the bottom of each of the two doors tends to make it dark enough for use.

For film developing, I just load in the bathroom, and develop in the kitchen.

For printing, my enlarger is on a rolling microwave cart, with paper safes below on the top shelf, and a large Rubbermaid tote on the bottom shelf.

For storage, things like the focus finder, the negative carriers, and the lenses are in plastic bins inside the tote, along with the safelights and my contact glass. The trimmer fits on the top of the tote. The whole unit rolls out to a lesser used hall when I'm not doing darkroom work.

Again for storage, the timer and the power supply are on the top shelf, along with a negative cleaner. They come off, and rest on a separate stool beside the cart when I work.

The trimmer tends to move to the counter while working.

With respect to the chemistry, I sometimes use tubes, and work with chemistry in the kitchen. In order to use trays, I needed something to adapt the bathtub. I ended up going to Home Depot and had them cut to size one of those long shelves designed for custom closets - the wire ones like this, only wider:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

The shelf is just the right length to rest on the top of the tub, and because it is a wire shelf, and reasonably impervious to water, I can have my chemistry trays on top, and one of two wash trays (the first wash) on the floor of the tub, with the wash water flowing first into one tray, and then down into the second.

I have two clamp-on safelights - one for the end of the room nearest the enlarger, and the other near the tub. They both point up to the ceiling.

I store everything that doesn't fit on the cart or in the tote in a cupboard, or the hall closet.

I've photos of the bathroom when it isn't set up, and had planned to shoot a few showing the setup when it is operating the next time I'm able, but you said time was limited....

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is in a semi-permanently converted bathroom, in that it's not functional as a bathroom, but, so far, no permanent changes have been made to the room or fixtures. It measures about 6 x 8 feet. I installed a pre-fab countertop along the outside wall that extends into the tub, and a second one right angles that is in the tub. These support the enlarger, paper storage and a Nova processor, with a bit of space open for trays if I need. Also, I've added shelving in every bit of available space otherwise. Over the top of the tub enclosure is a purpose-built drying screen
    The vanity/sink has print wash trays, or I can set up a Jobo at the sink.
    I do 35, MF, 4x5 formats and prints up to 11x14

One of the problems I'm running into is that the chemicals are corroding the drain hardware, in both the sink and the tub. The metal parts are consumer grade stainless trim over plastic, but the stainless isn't up to the task.

I'll post some pix later on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For 11x14s, I use my kids' bathroom in my house because its the largest in the house, for 8x10s or smaller I use my bathroom(no window) & break my back developing prints in the tub.

For the kids bathroom, I put a quilt & a sleeping bag over the window LOL! Yes its true. I set up the enlarger on the sink & have a 4' table that can hold 3 11x14 trays side by side, then I have a tray with hypo in the tub, or the second fixer tray if doing fiber. The shower head is a handhold type so I take it down & use it to do a first wash of the prints. Then I put the prints in another tray & carry into the kitchen(about 3 feet away) where I have 2 trays of hypo, selenium toner on the counter closest to the sink & the print washer in the kitchen sink. On the counter across from the sink, I have newspaper laid out where I put prints for a preliminary dry if fiber or if RC the final dry.

I pour my chemicals down the drain in the both tubs depending on which bathroom I'm using. I haven't noticed anything yet, but I haven't been doing this very long.
    I'll post pics later using my son's digi cam.
    ~Val

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been using bath-darkroom for almost two years now, it is a very small place and kind of dirty, so no pictures was taken. I found that I can handle all my developing need (from 35mm to 11X14 inches) but for printing, it get jammed at medium format, my enlarger is just not easy to get through the door, once its in, I have almost no room to wiggle.

My darkroom is not light tight, I use black garbage bag to seal the window, because I do all my printing at night, I don't have to worry about the light leak from the door. I do find it very limited, sometime in the future I have to move on and get myself a real deal, or, I can just learn from the masters, get a bigger camera and do contact print only.

Alex W.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin