Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,617   Online: 914

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Soeren: I was just about to say that

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Soeren: I was just about to say that

Bob
    Are you sure?
    Its a bit difficult to translate english to danish if writing english only
    Isn't there a "marine quality grade" Plywood?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    I second the plywood idea. I've used at my camera club sinks made of plywood which were 40+ years old and still nice and perfect. I've used plywood to make my sinks. I coated them with epoxy resin (used in boats) and they are perfectly fine !
    You may have a look at PVC plastic it comes in sheet and can be solded/glued to make sturdy tanks. I've seen a comercial darkroom using a sink custom made of PVC and perfect for it's use. But buying PVC is buying oil.So it will not be cheap. On the other hand, it will last forever.
    On the other hand, if using plywood, you will have to find the carpenter able and willing to make it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Emil, if you make it with plywood, use a type made for exterior use, 20mm would be about right. The glue will be better for a darkroom. I'm not sure about the european market place and availability, but in the u.s. there is a liner material made, which is made for new truck beds. It is a sprayed in material available in various colors. It is tough, water proof and will stick to almost anything, made like a hard rubber coating. This will coat the inside and work to keep water and chemicals out of the wood. tim

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    Emil, if you make it with plywood, use a type made for exterior use, 20mm would be about right. The glue will be better for a darkroom. I'm not sure about the european market place and availability, but in the u.s. there is a liner material made, which is made for new truck beds. It is a sprayed in material available in various colors. It is tough, water proof and will stick to almost anything, made like a hard rubber coating. This will coat the inside and work to keep water and chemicals out of the wood. tim

http://www.rhinolinings.com/
    plywood sounds like a good idea.
    not with fiber glass or PVC I think, as it will proberly be more expensive than stainless steel (remember; we are in Denmark, and there are huge taxes on plastic like things (inviroment issues))

but the material you mention here is worth exploring.. (I don't know whether it can be bought here, but I'll look into it.)

thanks all

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    More comments on plywood -
    I have two darkrooms, one has a commercial plastic sink which I am not thrilled with (not as sturdy as I would like), the other has plywood covered in fiberglass, which I like.

I would definitely use a marine grade ply. Another thing to consider - there is a local school which has a plywood darkroom sink which was taken to a place that does spray-on pickup truck bed liners - the material is somewhat rubbery, and gives good 'grip', as well as being close to indestructable. I don't know what sort of waterproofing was put under the bedliner material - fiberglass?, epoxy paint? but this particular sink has been in use in a school setting, being used 12+ hours per day for at least 15 years now and still seems very sturdy.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Plywood (krydsfiner) and what's called "våtromsmembran" in Norwegian should do the trick.

That's the stuff you paint on the floor and walls of a new bathroom before putting in tiles or similar - it's designed to make a waterproof seal. Since you're not covering it up (e.g. with tiles or wallpaper), I would use several layers - and make sure you caulk the joins well beforehand!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This might be helpful. It has pretty detailed instructions for a sink and other parts of building a darkroom.
    http://www.darkroomsource.net/sink.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about concrete? I saw a "how to" on that some where once
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the paint ole suggests is good stuff.
    i wish i knew about that when i repaired/rebuilt my wood sink ..
    i just used fiberglass resin ( 2 part mix ) and fiberglass cloth to
    seal the edges ... hard as nails, and lasts a long time ... but
    ole's paint sounds much easier

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin