Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,972   Online: 1183

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ross Anastig f8 350mm Enlarger Lens

Hi ! Everyone

Anyone know anything about Ross Lenses ? I found one in a box of darkroom equipment that my Grandfather has left.

The engraving says;

Anastig (A few letters unreadable) 1:8 F 350mm 13 3/4 In
    No 3081 Ross. London

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Calum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that is not specifically an enlarging lens, rather a barrel mounted lens for taking photos that is being used as an enlarging lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You'll need a two story darkroom for that one. Or, make ultrasharp 35 mm prints from 4x5 negs. : -))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a very low serial number, so it could be from before the First World War, but it has to be after 1889 when the first anastigmatic lens was produced at Zeiss. Ross are one of the earliest camera lens manufacturers and had very close ties with Zeiss, manufacturing Zeiss lenses under license.

The focal length would indicate it was probably for something like a 10"x8" camera, very few glass plates were enlarged at that time, and the f8 aperture is the same as an early 12"/300mm Ross lens I bought a few years ago, mine's marked as covering 8"x5". It's the Double anastigmatics like Protars and Dagors which have wider fields of coverage.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin