Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,521   Online: 880

Shooter
    35mm

Heads for Beseler MCRX

I have question concerning Beseler MCRX's. I have one already with a Dichro DG head but just picked another one up (because of the goodies it came with it was a no-brainer).

There are no markings on the head, except for "Besler" on the filter drawer but it's blue and houses a big honking glass lens. There's no way this could be a diffuser, could it?

So, for B&W which head is the better choice? I've heard condensers aren't as good as diffusing light sources, which the Dichro DG has. Does that make sense?

Many thanks,
    -- Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try them both use what you like.

I assume the new one has two lenses [condensors] not the one you mention.

Some people like condensers better. Some of us like colour heads better.

You'll have to make some prints to see which one you like best.

The condenser will be slightly higher contrast. Will show grain and scratches a touch more.

How much any of this matters only you can decide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you got the plain condenser enlarger. These are quite versatile. You do color adjustment (or contrast adjustment for black and white VC) by putting filters in the drawer above the negative carrier. You can adjust the condensers for optimum illumination by adjusting the top bellows (above the negative carrier). There is a scale to the right of the bellows that shows the negative size for adjusting the condenser. If you don't like the condenser system and you do a lot of color work, you can buy a dichro color head as an accessory. It would replace the lamp and condenser assembly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin