Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,758   Online: 1132

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Beseler 3 lens turret

Last year I picked up a mint Beseler 45MXT enlarger, 45S dichroic lightsource, 3-lens turret loaded with Nikkor lenses or 50 mm, 105 mm, and 135 mm.

Unfortunately the lightsource, although it looks brand new, is dead.

I am just now setting up the enlarger and can't figure out how to remove the lenses (and then install different lenses) in the turret. Each lens has two retaining screws which I can remove, but then I can't access the retaining ring.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't believe not one response!

Has anyone installed or removed a lens from a Beseler 3 lens turret? I just want to figure out how to remove the 3 lenses mounted on the turret so I can use them with standard lens boards. Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the 3 lens turret but I'm not sure what you mean by "can't access the retaining ring". Do you mean you can't unscrew that ring/jamnut from the turret? I just went through the process of removing a lens: I could loosen the two retaining screws by hand, then applied pressure to the ring/jamnut and unscrewed the lens from the other side. The lens came off easily and I was able to slide the ring/jamnut from under the two retaining screws. Let me know if this works.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    mgonzale,

Thanks for the response. You emboldened me to be more aggressive so I managed to get all three lenses off.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There should be no need to remove the jamnut retaining screws. How tight do you have the lenses screwed into it? The screws are merely to hold the nut in place--seeing as there is no way to get a slip wrench into the assembly.

Just grab the base of the lens barrel and unscrew.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    There should be no need to remove the jamnut retaining screws. How tight do you have the lenses screwed into it? The screws are merely to hold the nut in place--seeing as there is no way to get a slip wrench into the assembly.

Just grab the base of the lens barrel and unscrew.
    Good point, although I want to use the retaining rings on separate lens boards. The turret came as part of a package deal with the three lenses attached. Fortunately, the turret came with an adapter/extension tube that converts the 50 mm diameter threads to standard 39 mm threads to use on any baseboard.

Now I can do some comparing. I have three 4x5 enlarging lenses to compare:

Nikkor 135 mm
    Rodenstock Rodagon 150 mm
    Schneider Apo Componon 150 mm
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My suggestion Doc is to get a few other jam nuts for other projects--and leave whatever is in the turret intact. These are really cheap through BH and Adorama.
    Cheers,

Patrick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    My suggestion Doc is to get a few other jam nuts for other projects--and leave whatever is in the turret intact. These are really cheap through BH and Adorama.
    I am a psychiatrist and years ago I toyed with the idea of working at Eastern State Hospital in Spokane. How do you like it there?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm here in Kentucky. The nurses are ugly, the food is terrible, the meds make me sleepy, and they won't let me set fire to small animals. I have one roommate that suffers from formal thought disorder and never shuts up, and the other is a coprophagic. Aside from that, it's all good.
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 02-22-2008 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: purple elves told me to do it
    Cheers,

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just sold a guy my lens turret with no jam nuts, did not even think to look if they were there and they were not when I bought it and never used it. Does anyone know if regular Beseler 39mm jam nuts are what is needed or are they some dedicated type?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin