Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,241   Online: 699

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    There is a lot of theorizing about types of stabilizer and regulator but no clear indication of where the source of your problem may lie. You have seen differences in prints but it is not clear where these differences are coming from judging from what I have read - just one or two assumptions.

Cheers, Bob.
    The OP seems to have narrowed it down to a heater kicking on and off, what does that indicate? He obviously found a direct correlation worth pursuing further before going back to square one and spending considerable time testing and such. He already did enough of that to convince himself that it's a line voltage issue. When the conditions are constant there isn't an issue, that's another clue.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    The OP seems to have narrowed it down to a heater kicking on and off, what does that indicate? He obviously found a direct correlation worth pursuing further before going back to square one and spending considerable time testing and such. He already did enough of that to convince himself that it's a line voltage issue. When the conditions are constant there isn't an issue, that's another clue.
    No, as I implied, he thinks he has it narrowed down. He may be right, he may not be. Whether he wishes to investigate further is up to him. I simply suggested a method to do so, if he so wishes. I would test. You may not, he may not, the guy next door may not. I would. Personal choice. Such is life.

Also, I should have mentioned that the test I suggested is more to test that the stabilizer/regulator is actually working effectively as you will note that I didn't suggest testing without the stabilizer.

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 02-18-2008 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    I thought the problem of voltage fluctuations was already established.
    I realise this but I'm trying to understand if the enlarger/heater combination behaves differently without the voltage regulator included in the circuit.

Its not clear from the OP that simply removing the regulator from the circuit produced consistent prints. I should have mentioned that the tests that I suggested were to be performed without the regulator.

Bob F: I agree with you in principle but I am trying to understand how the OP's system behaves without the regulator in order to uncover or eliminate the possibility of any external electrical supply problem(s). As you say, without testing the OP will never know for certain where the problem lies.
    Last edited by Thanasis; 02-18-2008 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The enlarger bulb does visibly brighten and darken as the heater cycles on and off. Next time I am in the darkroom I will use the regulator and check the light/heater relationship. If the problem is still there I will try the AC relay that has been suggested.
    Thank you all for your help, including those of you who talked WAAAYY out of my depth.
    Sly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin