Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,171   Online: 988

Shooter
    35mm

Baseboard finishing question

Hello,
    I have just purchased an Omega D6, and I have built a plywood baseboard. The enlarger is going to be in the living room, so I am considering staining the plywood. Should I be considering it at all, would the plywood warp? If not, does anyone have any advice about doing it?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So long as you are using cabinet grade plywood I wouldn't worry much about warping. Stain all sides to keep the penetration even. Properly made, the grain of alternating layers are at right angles and that minimizes the warping.

If on the other hand you decide to go for swim with your base board, all bets are off.

Consider a polyurathene sealer for the board so it has some resistance to staining should you accidentally piddle chems on it.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely seal whatever finish you use with the polyurethane. It will seal the surface from accidental spills and the surface will be easier to clean with a damp cloth or swiffer..
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Plywood can be a dust magnet. If you are handy and the plywood is nothing special, glue a piece of laminate countertop material over it in white or black depending on your bias.

If the wood veneer is nice, then use a heavy gloss finish that can be easily cleaned and dusted.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Would spray clear lacquer work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd be better off, and get a better coverage, if, after you stain it, you get a small can of water-based varnish. Use a foam brush and put several [like 4-5] thin coats on it, sanding in between each coat [after drying] with some fine steel wool. Be sure and put a coat or two on the bottom and edges as well or mosture may enter that way. The spray will never cover as well. Cleanup of spills, drops, is easy - use a wet paper towel.
    Alec

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin