Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,542   Online: 887

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since there have been a lot of excellent responses already, I'll keep it short. Similar to since-z-gsi, I shoot 4x5, 6x7, 6x6, and 35mm. In my opinion it makes little sense to get an enlarger smaller than 4x5, since that will limit your ability to enlarge 4x5, and sooner or later you will be back on the market for a bigger enlarger; in the end anything smaller will (probably) be a false economic savings. Probably the two best brands for LF enlargers are, as others mentioned, Durst and DeVere. I've used a DeVere 504 for 25+ years, its an excellent machine, and 150mm, 80mm, and 50mm enlarging lenses cover the entire range of enlargements you mention. Dursts have a similar reputation for quality and may be more readily available in Germany, I don't know. Remember that the DeVere, and I assume most, enlargers de-assemble into several modules (usually the head, the chassis, and the baseboard) so that while they are very expensive to ship, they are not that ungainly to move by hand with a car, as long as you can de-assemble them first. The DeVeres are simple to re-align if necessary, I imagine the Dursts would be too.
    Last edited by palewin; 02-21-2008 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the age of Durst enlargers, go to www.durst.it From the service page you can download a pdf file that lists every post WWII product and the dates it was in production.

Schneider Optics have a similar table on their web site, listing serial number ranges by production year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    - I guess I do not need the constrast filters if I would get an enlarger with color head, right ?
    Correct.
    1. It will give you an infinite [not really infinite, because the filters on some machines have click stops at each filter unit] range from grade 00 to grade 5.
    2. The filters are above the negative so they will be dust free and in a better optical location.

Also consider that
    a condenser needs to be rearranged when you change negative size [a wonderful opportunity to drop or chip condenser lenses],

while a diffuser is better for portraits, does not show dust, and has slightly lower contrast.
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    slnce-z-gsi

Have in mind that as already others said, when use b/w head with condensers for your enlarger you need to change condenser lenses when change enlarger lens you use, but also when use colour head on your enlarger you need to change mixing chamber when change negative format you use. As you already could read, you can use b/w or colour head on same enlarger, of course if you get both of them.

There is also third head for enlarger, usually called VC, that is head for working with multicontrast papers. So, if you work with multicontrast papers and you get VC head then you do not need multicontrast filters for putting into filter drawer or below enlarger lens, and also you do not need colour head. I never used it, but I belive VC head also use mixing chambers like colour head, but, please, check if that is correct.

VC head have diffused light, simaillar to colour head, but it is used only for b/w multicontrast papers, not for colour papers.

For example, when I use my Meopta Magnifax 4 with b/w condenser head, there are two condensers, one for enlarger lenses up to 50mm and second for lenses from 60mm up to 105mm. When I use same Magnifax 4 with colour head, there are 4 different mixing chambers, one is for 35mm negative, one for 6x6, one for 6x7 and one for 6x9.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you.

So it seems that for my needs the VC head that produces diffused light and does not need any changes (well, apart from lens) when I change from 4x5 to 6x6 would be optimal.
    Concerning the 6x7 enlargers: What is the diference between Durst M670 M370 and M70 models? All of them do 6x7 ... ?
    Are there any other "reasonable" 4x5 enlargers in 4x5 apart from DeVere 504, Durst 1200 and LPL. Actually - which LPL ? They are quite plenty ... I know about LPL 7452, 7451
    Ever heard of Durst Pitochrome? (like HERE)
    Off-enalrger topic - what about the fiber print dryers. I am planning to get some heated press - (at least for the smaller sizes) - what is your experience ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it seems that for my needs the VC head that produces diffused light and does not need any changes (well, apart from lens) when I change from 4x5 to 6x6 would be optimal.

Are there any other "reasonable" 4x5 enlargers in 4x5 apart from DeVere 504, Durst 1200 and LPL. Actually - which LPL ? They are quite plenty ... I know about LPL 7452, 7451
    Hi Matus

If you decide to buy a LPL 74xx series with a VC module – you will still need different mixing boxes for different formats.

LPL 7452 has an improved cooling system, higher column, larger baseboard, larger distance between the column and the lens and a more powerful 250W lamp than the 7451 and 7450 models. It is capable of projecting 50x60 cm copies on the baseboard (if its fitted with the right optics), compared to 40x50 for the other models.

Well, like I said earlier on this thread, the VC module for these enlargers (that is the VCCE module) is a good piece of equipment. Same can be said regarding the negative holders and the focusing system. BUT, aligning the enlarger can be tricky (I have used thin sheets of metal where the column meets the baseboard).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you.

Off-enalrger topic - what about the fiber print dryers. I am planning to get some heated press - (at least for the smaller sizes) - what is your experience ?

NO! Fact that VC head have diffused light DOES NOT means you don't need changing of mixing chambers and you only change lens. Mixing chamber have function to give enough uniformly spreaded light over whole area which lens can cover (negative size you use). So changing of lens/negative size require changing of mixing chamber. Saying that, my Opemus 5 works with 35mm and 6x6 negatives (50mm and 80mm) lenses and it not need changing condensors on b/w head or mixing chamber on colour head, only lenses. But, it doesnt means other enlargers works the same, my Magnifax 4 from same manufacturer as Opemus 5 require changing of condensors/mixing chambers when changing lenses...
    I have FB dryer, but I don't use it. I dry FB prints just by hanging them and they need some flatening after drying, but not much. If you have money to buy FB paper dyer, your work would be with more comfort , but if you don't buy it, you still can work without real problems. Atleast that is my experience.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I have read of people moving their enlarger on a wheeled trolley, but I do not know if any were 4x5 enlargers. I imagine it would need to be a very strong trolley for that.
    I just finished making a cart for my LPL4550. I used 3/4" oak veneer plywood for the top and bottom and four 2" diameter dowels for the legs. Its sanded and ready for staining and clearcoating tonight. Its very sturdy and holds the beast very nicely.

If he shoots 4x5, which I think he's stated, he's going to need a 4x5 enalrger.

Personally, I love my LPL/Suanders 4550XLG. The biggest you can get is 4x5 but I max out at 6x7.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With a diffused head enlarger, technically, you should change the light mixing box for the different formats, practically, people don't.

With my various enlargers I have used, with all of the diffused head types I have always left the larger mixing box in the head for all formats.

When I had my LPL 7450/1 enlarger, I always left the 4x5 mixing box in the head. The same goes for my DeVere 504 today.

There is a difference and it is measurable, usually it is in the order of about 1/4 to 3/8 or slightly higher, of a stop, which is unimportant, for all intents and purposes.

There is at least one exception to this rule. If you are going to push the format to an extreme, say maximum enlargement of a 35mm neg, then any help in illumination when the enlarger is at it highest, may be better for your eyesight, when deciding grain and/or sharpness parameters.

Mick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin