Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,903   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, APUG'ers!

In my possession I now have a Jobo drum (forgtot which modei it is). Anyway. it takes 5 pieces 4x5 sheets and consumes 300ml developer. I have a rollerbase for it.

My question is what kind of rotation is required?
    Henning Jansen
    Stavanger - Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    round and round...

sorry...

Nige is wrong-)) It's a little one way. Then back the other way-)) If your base doesn't change directions then I think you're supposed to lift the drum up and fip it end over end every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    round and round...

sorry...

;-/ Ahhh.... suddenly it all became obvious. The rotation is ... round. Didn't think of that.!

Anyone with an idea on what frequency - how many rotations per minute or second?
    Henning Jansen
    Stavanger - Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [/quote]
    ;-/ Ahhh.... suddenly it all became obvious. The rotation is ... round. Didn't think of that.!
    Anyone with an idea on what frequency - how many rotations per minute or second?[/quote]

You apparently have one of the "3000" series tanks. According to the JOBO instruction manual for the CPP2, using a 3000 series tank, with 4" x 5" film, the rotation should be set at "F". I've never timed the frequency, but all I ever use with either 35mm or 120 film is "P" - which, if memory serves is about 75 RPM - or would be if the rotation did not reverse itself every two(2) revolutions. "F" is the slowest rotational speed available - and I am going to guess at about 30 RPM ... If it was "one way" ... etc. - see previous.

There is one instance - with 110 film - where JOBO does NOT recommend reversing rotation - and suggests that the reversing cam be "switched out of the way" so that the drum revolves in only one direction.

Now - my opinion, for what it is worth: I have an idea that the rotation, like the agitation of a hand-held tank, is not really all that critical. I'd start at about 30 RPM, and increase the rotation speed if I detected uneven development.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [/quote]
    Anyone with an idea on what frequency - how many rotations per minute or second?[/quote]

My Jobo CPE2 Plus rotates at 75 rpm and has bi-directional rotation. I have used the hand roller before the CPE and I just used a constant slide of the hand for 10 pushes one way they reversed the hand movement for 10 pushes the other. I used a 60 second pre-soak and stuck to the development times for inversion processing in a small tank.

I got good results and really strong wrists.

Mike

Images
    I use a Jobo CPP2 with both Expert (4X5) and 2500 series (MF). For B&W, I like ABC+ Pyro. Lowest rotation speed is about 22, I shoot for 25+/-. Formerly I used a CPE-2+. One speed 75. Quite honestly, I see little difference, if any at all, on the MF work between the two speeds.

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach

Now - my opinion, for what it is worth: I have an idea that the rotation, like the agitation of a hand-held tank, is not really all that critical. I'd start at about 30 RPM, and increase the rotation speed if I detected uneven development.
    Does this depend on the amount of developer in the tank? If somebody was using the bare min I'm thinking everything is more critcal.

I'm also wondering why people don't like the 2500 tanks for 4x5?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach

Does this depend on the amount of developer in the tank? If somebody was using the bare min I'm thinking everything is more critcal.
    I don't think so. The idea of rotation is to take the place of agitation, and to prresent "fresh" or relatively so - chemicals to each individual area of the media.

There are minumum amounts of solutions needed to "cover" in processing - whether or not they are sufficient for processing is another consideration - but I don't think there is much of a link between the amount of chemicals and the rate of rotation/ agitation.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin